[John_Lit] Hengel, Heckel and John

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2000
      I'm forwarding here a post that I've sent recently to Synoptic-L:

      Theo K. Heckel: Vom Evangelium des Markus zum viergestaltigen Evangelium
      (From the Gospel according to Mark to the Four Gospels.)
      1999. XIV, 409 pages (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament
      120). ISBN 3-16-147199-7 cloth DM 178.00 / oeS 1299.00 / sFR 152.00

      I have this book now and strongly recommend it. It is among other things the
      most in depth treatment of Papias I have seen lately. Very detailed
      discussion of all the relevant passages.
      The book is comparable to M. Hengel's "Die johanneische Frage" and can be
      seen as a follow-up or complementary work.
      Heckel sees connections between the Papias collection (e.g. story about the
      woman with the many sins) and the fuzzy margin of the four Gospels (e.g.
      Long ending of Mk or the PA). This similarity is for Heckel an indication
      that Papias wrote in the time of the redaction of the
      Four-gospel-collection. For Heckel the time of this formation is most likely
      110-120 CE.
      (Interesting, but not necessary for the discussion is that in an armenian MS
      the longer ending of Mark is attributed to Ariston, who is maybe the
      presbyter mentioned by Papias.)

      Heckel starts with a discussion of Mark's ending, then goes on to Mt and Lk,
      he discusses the redaction of John, Jo 21 and also the Gospel titles
      (KATA..., theological implications). He also discusses the Gospel of Peter
      and the Egerton Gospel in some detail. He connects everything into a
      consistent picture about the formation of the Four-gospel-collection.
      Although speculative, it is quite ballanced.
      And: many, many references given!

      A must for all synoptic researchers and recommended to all who can read
      German.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><