Re: [John_Lit] Paraclete

  • deborahmillier
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
      Elaine wrote:

      > From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
      should be
      > dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
      saying), ...

      We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
      Elaine?

      > we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
      as 'kingdom', but
      > is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
      > 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
      individuals.

      Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
      means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
      sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
      dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

      Shalom from Manila,
      --Michael Millier
    • Q Bee
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
        On Sep 27, 2005, at 1:16 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

        > Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:
        >
        > Anyway, I don't know what "Paraclete" means. My ersatz
        > Doktorvater, Otto Betz, would argue that it doesn't,
        > thus prompting my question. I had hoped -- and still
        > hope -- that someone will figure it out and tell us.

        "Paraclete" means 'advocate' as in one to plead the case for a
        defendant.

        NAB Jn 14:16 - footnote: 'Another Advocate': Jesus is the first
        advocate (paraclete); see 1 John 2:1, where Jesus is an advocate in the
        sense of intercessor in heaven. The Greek term derives from legal
        terminology for an advocate or defense attorney, and can mean
        spokesman, mediator, intercessor, comforter, consoler, although no one
        of these terms encompasses the meaning in John. The Paraclete in John
        is a teacher, a witness to Jesus, and a prosecutor of the world, who
        represents the continued presence on earth of the Jesus who has
        returned to the Father.

        Elaine

        Bp. +M. Elaine Bessette
        Magdal-Eder Mission Seminary
        of the New Order of Glastonbury
        Tacoma, WA
      • Q Bee
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
          On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:10 AM, deborahmillier wrote:

          > Elaine wrote:
          >
          >> From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
          > should be
          >> dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
          > saying), ...
          >
          > We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
          > Elaine?

          I didn't say that we shouldn't.

          >> we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
          > as 'kingdom', but
          >> is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
          >> 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
          > individuals.
          >
          > Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
          > means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
          > sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
          > dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

          The notion of 'queendom' is Neil Douglas-Klotz' interpretation from the
          Aramaic. It does follow that the kingdom is a womb type of place
          within the individual and that the Spirit is also feminine.

          Peace from Tacoma,

          Elaine
        • Tom Butler
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
            Bob,
            I think you are asking the right question. Why the
            translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
            as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
            understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
            term.
            I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
            partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
            comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
            largely because I see the relevance between the
            Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
            associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
            49.
            The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
            the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
            of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
            conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
            Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
            body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
            Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
            to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
            I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
            this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
            end without dipping my toe into it.

          • Bob MacDonald
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
              Bravo Tom

              Somewhere in this dialogue, my original question got lost
              and you found it again.

              I am suspicious that there is a relationship between
              paraclete and naham.

              What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
              repentance) and naham the root of comfort? (In my BDB, these
              both seems to be spelt the same!)

              And one of the main roles of the paraclete is to convict the
              world (us) of sin - and that leads to real 'repentance' and
              're-turn' (cf Peter and the catch of fish).

              Bob

              Bob MacDonald
              http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
              Victoria, B.C., Canada

              Catch the foxes for us,

              I think you are asking the right question. Why the
              translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
              as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
              understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
              term.
              I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
              partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
              comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
              largely because I see the relevance between the
              Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
              associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
              49.
              The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
              the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
              of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
              conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
              Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
              body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
              Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
              to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
              I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
              this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
              end without dipping my toe into it.

              --- Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:

              > HJH wrote: But does the term "Paraclete" mean
              > "Comforter"?
              >
              > The translators of some versions of John use
              > comforter, why?
              > Were they deliberately evoking Isaiah? Does coming
              > along
              > side of imply a strengthening such as God's comfort
              > might
              > imply? Is Nehemiah (the Lord is comfort) an
              > archetype as
              > rebuilder of the temple?
              >
              > Sometime in the past I have read long dissertations
              > on
              > Paraclete without getting any answer on whether
              > there is an
              > English let alone a Hebrew word that gives rise to
              > this
              > word. That is the import of my question. The role of
              > the
              > Paraclete to reprove the world on sin and of
              > righteousness
              > and of judgment gives some indication of what the
              > word might
              > mean - but where does it come from and with respect
              > to my
              > initial question - what relationship does it have to
              > repentance for Jew or Gentile.
              >
              > I seems to me there might be an early or late idea
              > here,
              > with an Author or author stretching for language to
              > express
              > and invite a response within and beyond tradition.
              >
              > reaching...
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > Bob MacDonald
              > http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
              > Victoria, B.C., Canada
              >
              > Catch the foxes for us,
              > the little foxes that make havoc of the
              > vineyards,
              > for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)

              <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=system color=#0000ff>Yours in
              Christ's service,</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
              <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=System color=#0000ff>Tom
              Butler</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>

              SUBSCRIBE: e-mail
              johannine_literature-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              UNSUBSCRIBE: e-mail