RE: [John_Lit] Paraclete

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 26, 2005
      HJH wrote: But does the term "Paraclete" mean "Comforter"?

      The translators of some versions of John use comforter, why?
      Were they deliberately evoking Isaiah? Does coming along
      side of imply a strengthening such as God's comfort might
      imply? Is Nehemiah (the Lord is comfort) an archetype as
      rebuilder of the temple?

      Sometime in the past I have read long dissertations on
      Paraclete without getting any answer on whether there is an
      English let alone a Hebrew word that gives rise to this
      word. That is the import of my question. The role of the
      Paraclete to reprove the world on sin and of righteousness
      and of judgment gives some indication of what the word might
      mean - but where does it come from and with respect to my
      initial question - what relationship does it have to
      repentance for Jew or Gentile.

      I seems to me there might be an early or late idea here,
      with an Author or author stretching for language to express
      and invite a response within and beyond tradition.

      reaching...

      Jeffery, your post has come three times - is this another
      sign? :)

      Bob

      Bob MacDonald
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
      Victoria, B.C., Canada

      Catch the foxes for us,
    • Q Bee
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 26, 2005
        On Sep 26, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Bob MacDonald wrote:

        (snip)

        > What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
        > repentance) and naham the root of comfort?

        > It occurred to me reading Crossley about repentance that as
        > there is a translation discontinuity between the repentance
        > of ‘thinking again’ and ‘turning’, and a distinction of the
        > re-turning of the Jews vs the change of mind of the
        > Gentiles, so also there is a concept of repentance brought
        > about by the presence of the Spirit (John 16:8)

        From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we should be
        dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been saying), we
        can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated as 'kingdom', but
        is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of a
        'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of individuals.
        Neil Douglas-Klotz says:

        First, the word usually translated as "repent" can also mean to return,
        come again, flow back, ebb. Its roots show something that turns or
        returns (T), as though in a circle or spiral, to its origin or to its
        original rhythm (AB). In the Hebrew-Aramaic sense, to repent means to
        unite with something by affinity, because it feels like going home.
        ________________

        This sense of 'repent' as turning or returning leads me to speculate
        about the times that the word 'turned' is used in 4G and what the sense
        might have been in the original language for the following:
        1:38: Jesus turned and saw them following him ...
        20:14: When she had said this she turned around and saw Jesus there...
        20:16: She turned to him and said to him [in Hebrew]...
        21:20: Peter turned and saw the disciple following whom Jesus loved,...

        Does anyone have an insights on this set of phrases? ISTM that the
        final one is an example of turning in the wrong manner, as Peter is
        turning in order to cause separation by questioning whether the beloved
        disciple should be among them and is chastised by Jesus.

        I hope this is not too far off the original topic, but 'repent' is in
        the passage quoted.

        Peace,

        Elaine

        Bp. +M. Elaine Bessette, Provost
        Magdal-Eder Mission Seminary
        of the New Order of Glastonbury
        Tacoma, WA
      • deborahmillier
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
          Elaine wrote:

          > From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
          should be
          > dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
          saying), ...

          We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
          Elaine?

          > we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
          as 'kingdom', but
          > is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
          > 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
          individuals.

          Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
          means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
          sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
          dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

          Shalom from Manila,
          --Michael Millier
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
            Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:

            >>Jeffery, your post has come three times - is this
            another sign? :)<<

            Ah, this faithless and evil generation, ever asking
            for signs.

            The only sign is a sign like that of Jonah . . . sort
            of. Well, there's three posts, and that's three of
            something, anyway.

            I don't know why it posted three times. The first one
            didn't post, I thought. I sent it again, and that one
            posted. Now that I've just opened up my mail again, I
            see that my second one posted twice, and my first one
            posted once.

            Perhaps if I sent a third time, it would post three
            times more.

            Let's see what happens to this one.

            Anyway, I don't know what "Paraclete" means. My ersatz
            Doktorvater, Otto Betz, would argue that it doesn't,
            thus prompting my question. I had hoped -- and still
            hope -- that someone will figure it out and tell us.

            Jeffery Hodges

            University Degrees:

            Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

            Email Address:

            jefferyhodges@...

            Blog:

            http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

            Office Address:

            Korea University
            136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            Seoul
            South Korea

            Home Address:

            Sehan Apt. 102-2302
            Sinnae-dong 795
            Jungrang-gu
            Seoul 131-770
            South Korea
          • Q Bee
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
              On Sep 27, 2005, at 1:16 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

              > Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:
              >
              > Anyway, I don't know what "Paraclete" means. My ersatz
              > Doktorvater, Otto Betz, would argue that it doesn't,
              > thus prompting my question. I had hoped -- and still
              > hope -- that someone will figure it out and tell us.

              "Paraclete" means 'advocate' as in one to plead the case for a
              defendant.

              NAB Jn 14:16 - footnote: 'Another Advocate': Jesus is the first
              advocate (paraclete); see 1 John 2:1, where Jesus is an advocate in the
              sense of intercessor in heaven. The Greek term derives from legal
              terminology for an advocate or defense attorney, and can mean
              spokesman, mediator, intercessor, comforter, consoler, although no one
              of these terms encompasses the meaning in John. The Paraclete in John
              is a teacher, a witness to Jesus, and a prosecutor of the world, who
              represents the continued presence on earth of the Jesus who has
              returned to the Father.

              Elaine

              Bp. +M. Elaine Bessette
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
                On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:10 AM, deborahmillier wrote:

                > Elaine wrote:
                >
                >> From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
                > should be
                >> dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
                > saying), ...
                >
                > We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
                > Elaine?

                I didn't say that we shouldn't.

                >> we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
                > as 'kingdom', but
                >> is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
                >> 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
                > individuals.
                >
                > Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
                > means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
                > sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
                > dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

                The notion of 'queendom' is Neil Douglas-Klotz' interpretation from the
                Aramaic. It does follow that the kingdom is a womb type of place
                within the individual and that the Spirit is also feminine.

                Peace from Tacoma,

                Elaine
              • Tom Butler
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
                  Bob,
                  I think you are asking the right question. Why the
                  translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
                  as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
                  understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
                  term.
                  I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
                  partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
                  comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
                  largely because I see the relevance between the
                  Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
                  associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
                  49.
                  The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
                  the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
                  of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
                  conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
                  Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
                  body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
                  Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
                  to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
                  I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
                  this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
                  end without dipping my toe into it.

                • Bob MacDonald
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 27, 2005
                    Bravo Tom

                    Somewhere in this dialogue, my original question got lost
                    and you found it again.

                    I am suspicious that there is a relationship between
                    paraclete and naham.

                    What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
                    repentance) and naham the root of comfort? (In my BDB, these
                    both seems to be spelt the same!)

                    And one of the main roles of the paraclete is to convict the
                    world (us) of sin - and that leads to real 'repentance' and
                    're-turn' (cf Peter and the catch of fish).

                    Bob

                    Bob MacDonald
                    http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                    Victoria, B.C., Canada

                    Catch the foxes for us,

                    I think you are asking the right question. Why the
                    translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
                    as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
                    understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
                    term.
                    I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
                    partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
                    comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
                    largely because I see the relevance between the
                    Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
                    associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
                    49.
                    The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
                    the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
                    of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
                    conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
                    Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
                    body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
                    Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
                    to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
                    I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
                    this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
                    end without dipping my toe into it.

                    --- Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:

                    > HJH wrote: But does the term "Paraclete" mean
                    > "Comforter"?
                    >
                    > The translators of some versions of John use
                    > comforter, why?
                    > Were they deliberately evoking Isaiah? Does coming
                    > along
                    > side of imply a strengthening such as God's comfort
                    > might
                    > imply? Is Nehemiah (the Lord is comfort) an
                    > archetype as
                    > rebuilder of the temple?
                    >
                    > Sometime in the past I have read long dissertations
                    > on
                    > Paraclete without getting any answer on whether
                    > there is an
                    > English let alone a Hebrew word that gives rise to
                    > this
                    > word. That is the import of my question. The role of
                    > the
                    > Paraclete to reprove the world on sin and of
                    > righteousness
                    > and of judgment gives some indication of what the
                    > word might
                    > mean - but where does it come from and with respect
                    > to my
                    > initial question - what relationship does it have to
                    > repentance for Jew or Gentile.
                    >
                    > I seems to me there might be an early or late idea
                    > here,
                    > with an Author or author stretching for language to
                    > express
                    > and invite a response within and beyond tradition.
                    >
                    > reaching...
                    >
                    > Bob
                    >
                    > Bob MacDonald
                    > http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                    > Victoria, B.C., Canada
                    >
                    > Catch the foxes for us,
                    > the little foxes that make havoc of the
                    > vineyards,
                    > for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)

                    <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=system color=#0000ff>Yours in
                    Christ's service,</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
                    <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=System color=#0000ff>Tom
                    Butler</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>

                    SUBSCRIBE: e-mail
                    johannine_literature-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    UNSUBSCRIBE: e-mail