[John_Lit] Re: Chapter 21

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2000
      Ken,

      I was also a participant in Hengel's Famous Friday
      Night Table Talks (for 5 years, 1990-1995), but I
      don't recall his ever discussing this point (though he
      might have done so before my German improved enough to
      follow the discussion).

      I also don't recall Hengel's specific reasons from my
      reading of his book some 10 years ago, but I think,
      though, that Hengel draws his conclusions--that the
      title belongs to the text of the Fourth Gospel and
      that the author of chapter 21 added it--from his
      arguments that John the Elder was the author of the
      first 20 chapters and that the earliest references to
      the Fourth Gospel refer to it as "The Gospel According
      to John".

      In other words, Hengel's argument is probably based
      upon his narrowing of the historical window to a brief
      enough time (between the probable date of John the
      Elder's death and the first reference to the Gospel of
      John) that the most plausible conslusion is that the
      author of chapter 21 added the title.

      Hengel probably has other reasons as well, but as I
      said, I don't recall them. Wish that I could be of
      more help on this.

      Perhaps I'll ask him the next time that we correspond.

      Jeff Hodges

      http://im.yahoo.com