RE: [John_Lit] Web Publishing

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 19, 2005
      Tom

      good to hear from you again. I take it you've been busy :).
      You may remember me as one of your miserable critics on Let
      Her Keep It - a book I remember with fondness for its
      thesis.

      I have been studying writing and publishing for a couple of
      years now. The simple publishing fact is that a book needs
      good promotion - it is as costly to sell as it is to create.
      Maybe those of us who look askance at sellers will realize
      the brilliance of the selling job that eventually happened
      with our beloved texts including G John - though some may do
      it purely for gain :)

      The second fact is that the writer writes for him or
      herself - it is such a stretch - a mountain that does not
      exist till you climb it.

      I would welcome a look at your draft commentary - I am in
      the second year of revision of my own story (49 short
      stories under the title of Seen from the Street) - whether
      it will ever see the light of a cover I do not know. I did
      have it on my web pages but have withdrawn all but a few
      sample chapters since it changes too often to update...

      Bob

      Bob MacDonald
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
      Victoria, B.C., Canada

      Catch the foxes for us,
    • pastor_t@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 24, 2005
        Dear Bob and All John_Lit Listers,
        My thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions and expressed an
        interest in my work.
        In replying to your message, Bob, I inadvertently sent an attachment to
        the John_Lit list with my commentary on it. It bounced back to me because
        the message was too big for the list, so now I know that I cannot share my
        work with the entire list (at least, not as an attachment and probably not
        by including the entire work in the body of the e-mail message). Judith
        Kowalski has suggested that I mail a CD. I would be glad to send a CD to
        anyone who wants to send me (off list if you prefer) your snail mail
        address.
        I am calling my commentary A Day with Jesus. In its present format
        (taught as an adult education course at Sparks United Methodist Church), it
        uses Let Her Keep It as a secondary text. I will gladly mail a free copy of
        Let Her Keep It to anyone who does not already have one and who is offering
        to review A Day with Jesus.
        I am still considering Peter Kirby's offer to create a web site that
        requires a password to enter. I think it would be necessary to place Let Her
        Keep It on the same web site, or create links that would allow reviewers to
        quickly and easily see the material in Let Her Keep It to which I am
        referring. I suspect that will be a time consuming process, right Peter?

        > good to hear from you again. I take it you've been busy :).
        > You may remember me as one of your miserable critics on Let
        > Her Keep It - a book I remember with fondness for its
        > thesis.
        >
        > I have been studying writing and publishing for a couple of
        > years now. The simple publishing fact is that a book needs
        > good promotion - it is as costly to sell as it is to create.
        > Maybe those of us who look askance at sellers will realize
        > the brilliance of the selling job that eventually happened
        > with our beloved texts including G John - though some may do
        > it purely for gain :)
        >
        > The second fact is that the writer writes for him or
        > herself - it is such a stretch - a mountain that does not
        > exist till you climb it.
        >
        > I would welcome a look at your draft commentary - I am in
        > the second year of revision of my own story (49 short
        > stories under the title of Seen from the Street) - whether
        > it will ever see the light of a cover I do not know. I did
        > have it on my web pages but have withdrawn all but a few
        > sample chapters since it changes too often to update...
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Bob MacDonald
        > http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
        > Victoria, B.C., Canada
        >
        > Catch the foxes for us,
        > the little foxes that make havoc of the vineyards,
        > for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)

        > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob MacDonald
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 26 8:03 PM
          Crossley’s article in Journal for the study of the
          Historical Jesus June 2004 (the free sample) on Jesus and
          John’s words for repentance concludes with:

          “The Semitic background makes it overwhelmingly likely that
          the teshubah concept of repentance is the correct background
          for the teaching of John and Jesus on repentance.

          In contrast to this, NXM, the Hebrew equivalent of
          metanoe/w, is not well attested, at least not in the sense
          of repent, regret or remorse.“

          <<much snipped>>

          What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
          repentance) and naham the root of comfort?

          It occurred to me reading Crossley about repentance that as
          there is a translation discontinuity between the repentance
          of ‘thinking again’ and ‘turning’, and a distinction of the
          re-turning of the Jews vs the change of mind of the
          Gentiles, so also there is a concept of repentance brought
          about by the presence of the Spirit (John 16:8)

          Seems to me that Paraclete has a plausible origin in the
          idea of God’s comforting Israel (NXM or the like).

          Has anyone done a study on Paraclete and its relationship to
          repentance and building as Crossley did with the article on
          teshuvah and metanoia quoted above?

          thanks

          Bob

          Bob MacDonald
          http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
          Victoria, B.C., Canada

          Catch the foxes for us,
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 26 8:28 PM
            Bob MacDonald wrote:

            >>Seems to me that Paraclete has a plausible origin in
            the idea of God's comforting Israel (NXM or the
            like).<<

            I take it that your query concerns the role of the
            Paraclete as "Comforter."

            But does the term "Paraclete" mean "Comforter"?

            Jeffery Hodges

            University Degrees:

            Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

            Email Address:

            jefferyhodges@...

            Blog:

            http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

            Office Address:

            Korea University
            136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            Seoul
            South Korea

            Home Address:

            Sehan Apt. 102-2302
            Sinnae-dong 795
            Jungrang-gu
            Seoul 131-770
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 26 8:59 PM

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 26 9:13 PM
                HJH wrote: But does the term "Paraclete" mean "Comforter"?

                The translators of some versions of John use comforter, why?
                Were they deliberately evoking Isaiah? Does coming along
                side of imply a strengthening such as God's comfort might
                imply? Is Nehemiah (the Lord is comfort) an archetype as
                rebuilder of the temple?

                Sometime in the past I have read long dissertations on
                Paraclete without getting any answer on whether there is an
                English let alone a Hebrew word that gives rise to this
                word. That is the import of my question. The role of the
                Paraclete to reprove the world on sin and of righteousness
                and of judgment gives some indication of what the word might
                mean - but where does it come from and with respect to my
                initial question - what relationship does it have to
                repentance for Jew or Gentile.

                I seems to me there might be an early or late idea here,
                with an Author or author stretching for language to express
                and invite a response within and beyond tradition.

                reaching...

                Jeffery, your post has come three times - is this another
                sign? :)

                Bob

                Bob MacDonald
                http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                Victoria, B.C., Canada

                Catch the foxes for us,
              • Q Bee
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 26 9:38 PM
                  On Sep 26, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Bob MacDonald wrote:

                  (snip)

                  > What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
                  > repentance) and naham the root of comfort?

                  > It occurred to me reading Crossley about repentance that as
                  > there is a translation discontinuity between the repentance
                  > of ‘thinking again’ and ‘turning’, and a distinction of the
                  > re-turning of the Jews vs the change of mind of the
                  > Gentiles, so also there is a concept of repentance brought
                  > about by the presence of the Spirit (John 16:8)

                  From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we should be
                  dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been saying), we
                  can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated as 'kingdom', but
                  is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of a
                  'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of individuals.
                  Neil Douglas-Klotz says:

                  First, the word usually translated as "repent" can also mean to return,
                  come again, flow back, ebb. Its roots show something that turns or
                  returns (T), as though in a circle or spiral, to its origin or to its
                  original rhythm (AB). In the Hebrew-Aramaic sense, to repent means to
                  unite with something by affinity, because it feels like going home.
                  ________________

                  This sense of 'repent' as turning or returning leads me to speculate
                  about the times that the word 'turned' is used in 4G and what the sense
                  might have been in the original language for the following:
                  1:38: Jesus turned and saw them following him ...
                  20:14: When she had said this she turned around and saw Jesus there...
                  20:16: She turned to him and said to him [in Hebrew]...
                  21:20: Peter turned and saw the disciple following whom Jesus loved,...

                  Does anyone have an insights on this set of phrases? ISTM that the
                  final one is an example of turning in the wrong manner, as Peter is
                  turning in order to cause separation by questioning whether the beloved
                  disciple should be among them and is chastised by Jesus.

                  I hope this is not too far off the original topic, but 'repent' is in
                  the passage quoted.

                  Peace,

                  Elaine

                  Bp. +M. Elaine Bessette, Provost
                  Magdal-Eder Mission Seminary
                  of the New Order of Glastonbury
                  Tacoma, WA
                • deborahmillier
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 27 12:10 AM
                    Elaine wrote:

                    > From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
                    should be
                    > dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
                    saying), ...

                    We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
                    Elaine?

                    > we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
                    as 'kingdom', but
                    > is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
                    > 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
                    individuals.

                    Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
                    means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
                    sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
                    dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

                    Shalom from Manila,
                    --Michael Millier
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 27 1:16 AM
                      Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:

                      >>Jeffery, your post has come three times - is this
                      another sign? :)<<

                      Ah, this faithless and evil generation, ever asking
                      for signs.

                      The only sign is a sign like that of Jonah . . . sort
                      of. Well, there's three posts, and that's three of
                      something, anyway.

                      I don't know why it posted three times. The first one
                      didn't post, I thought. I sent it again, and that one
                      posted. Now that I've just opened up my mail again, I
                      see that my second one posted twice, and my first one
                      posted once.

                      Perhaps if I sent a third time, it would post three
                      times more.

                      Let's see what happens to this one.

                      Anyway, I don't know what "Paraclete" means. My ersatz
                      Doktorvater, Otto Betz, would argue that it doesn't,
                      thus prompting my question. I had hoped -- and still
                      hope -- that someone will figure it out and tell us.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 27 1:40 AM
                        On Sep 27, 2005, at 1:16 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                        > Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Anyway, I don't know what "Paraclete" means. My ersatz
                        > Doktorvater, Otto Betz, would argue that it doesn't,
                        > thus prompting my question. I had hoped -- and still
                        > hope -- that someone will figure it out and tell us.

                        "Paraclete" means 'advocate' as in one to plead the case for a
                        defendant.

                        NAB Jn 14:16 - footnote: 'Another Advocate': Jesus is the first
                        advocate (paraclete); see 1 John 2:1, where Jesus is an advocate in the
                        sense of intercessor in heaven. The Greek term derives from legal
                        terminology for an advocate or defense attorney, and can mean
                        spokesman, mediator, intercessor, comforter, consoler, although no one
                        of these terms encompasses the meaning in John. The Paraclete in John
                        is a teacher, a witness to Jesus, and a prosecutor of the world, who
                        represents the continued presence on earth of the Jesus who has
                        returned to the Father.

                        Elaine

                        Bp. +M. Elaine Bessette
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 27 10:06 AM
                          On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:10 AM, deborahmillier wrote:

                          > Elaine wrote:
                          >
                          >> From the Aramaic standpoint (and that is the language base we
                          > should be
                          >> dealing with if we are to consider what Jesus may have been
                          > saying), ...
                          >
                          > We should at least consider Hebrew in the mix. don't you think,
                          > Elaine?

                          I didn't say that we shouldn't.

                          >> we can consider the word 'Malkuta' (generally translated
                          > as 'kingdom', but
                          >> is a feminine word which means 'queen-dom'), Jesus was speaking of
                          >> 'queendom' 'within' or 'among' an individual or group of
                          > individuals.
                          >
                          > Pardon me, but why ever would you say that MALKUTA in Aramaic
                          > means "queen-dom"? On the basis of it's *grammatical* gender? Not a
                          > sturdy base for making statements such as yours that imply (queen-
                          > dom) that a "queen" would be at the helm of the "dom." :)

                          The notion of 'queendom' is Neil Douglas-Klotz' interpretation from the
                          Aramaic. It does follow that the kingdom is a womb type of place
                          within the individual and that the Spirit is also feminine.

                          Peace from Tacoma,

                          Elaine
                        • Tom Butler
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 27 5:20 PM
                            Bob,
                            I think you are asking the right question. Why the
                            translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
                            as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
                            understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
                            term.
                            I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
                            partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
                            comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
                            largely because I see the relevance between the
                            Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
                            associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
                            49.
                            The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
                            the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
                            of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
                            conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
                            Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
                            body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
                            Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
                            to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
                            I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
                            this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
                            end without dipping my toe into it.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 27 5:34 PM
                              Bravo Tom

                              Somewhere in this dialogue, my original question got lost
                              and you found it again.

                              I am suspicious that there is a relationship between
                              paraclete and naham.

                              What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
                              repentance) and naham the root of comfort? (In my BDB, these
                              both seems to be spelt the same!)

                              And one of the main roles of the paraclete is to convict the
                              world (us) of sin - and that leads to real 'repentance' and
                              're-turn' (cf Peter and the catch of fish).

                              Bob

                              Bob MacDonald
                              http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                              Victoria, B.C., Canada

                              Catch the foxes for us,

                              I think you are asking the right question. Why the
                              translators apparently chose to translate "Paraclete"
                              as "Comforter" allows a plausible insight into their
                              understanding of the scriptural basis for the Greek
                              term.
                              I like all of the suggestions you made, but am
                              partial to the last one [Is Nehemiah (the Lord is
                              comfort) an archetype as rebuilder of the temple?],
                              largely because I see the relevance between the
                              Gospel's theme as revealed in Jn. 2: 19, which I
                              associate with Jn. 14: 15-17, Jn. 1: 10-13 and Jn. 24:
                              49.
                              The theme of the Gospel, in my opinion, grows out of
                              the circumstance faced by the early church: the loss
                              of the temple. The Gospel is an answer to the
                              conundrum faced by the first century Jewish community.
                              Jesus has built a new spiritual temple in which His
                              body is sacrificed and resurrected, then called the
                              Paraclete to come beside those who choose to continue
                              to build and maintain that spiritual temple.
                              I suspect that the energy that has been poured into
                              this discussion has waned, but I couldn't let the day
                              end without dipping my toe into it.

                              --- Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:

                              > HJH wrote: But does the term "Paraclete" mean
                              > "Comforter"?
                              >
                              > The translators of some versions of John use
                              > comforter, why?
                              > Were they deliberately evoking Isaiah? Does coming
                              > along
                              > side of imply a strengthening such as God's comfort
                              > might
                              > imply? Is Nehemiah (the Lord is comfort) an
                              > archetype as
                              > rebuilder of the temple?
                              >
                              > Sometime in the past I have read long dissertations
                              > on
                              > Paraclete without getting any answer on whether
                              > there is an
                              > English let alone a Hebrew word that gives rise to
                              > this
                              > word. That is the import of my question. The role of
                              > the
                              > Paraclete to reprove the world on sin and of
                              > righteousness
                              > and of judgment gives some indication of what the
                              > word might
                              > mean - but where does it come from and with respect
                              > to my
                              > initial question - what relationship does it have to
                              > repentance for Jew or Gentile.
                              >
                              > I seems to me there might be an early or late idea
                              > here,
                              > with an Author or author stretching for language to
                              > express
                              > and invite a response within and beyond tradition.
                              >
                              > reaching...
                              >
                              > Bob
                              >
                              > Bob MacDonald
                              > http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                              > Victoria, B.C., Canada
                              >
                              > Catch the foxes for us,
                              > the little foxes that make havoc of the
                              > vineyards,
                              > for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)

                              <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=system color=#0000ff>Yours in
                              Christ's service,</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
                              <DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=System color=#0000ff>Tom
                              Butler</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>

                              SUBSCRIBE: e-mail
                              johannine_literature-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              UNSUBSCRIBE: e-mail