Re: [John_Lit] completing PhD

  • Henry Sturcke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2005
      Steve,

      I agree with Ramsey that the Josephus quotes should have been from the
      LCL edition, or, failing that, the Hendrickson edition. The Kregel
      edition is really not appropriate for scholarly work, unless Whiston
      himself is the subject of your study. But if you are unable to get to a
      library to verify these and check the wording, then this information
      might be helpful to you:

      Josephus, Complete Works (trans. W. Whiston; Grand Rapids: Kregel,
      1960). My copy was repr. 1981 and has a note: This new popularly priced
      edition . . . is a combination of the William Whiston translation
      published by William P. Nimmo, Edinburgh, Scotland in 1867 and the
      standard edition published by Porter and Coates, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

      For the actual citations, give the name of the work in the standard
      English (available in the SBL Handbook), then three numbers: book,
      chapter, section. While these don't match the standard numbering system
      used in the standard editions, it is appropriate since that is what is
      used in the edition you worked with. There are conversion tables
      available for anyone who wants to check the citations in another
      edition. In fact, there is a table in the back of my Kregel edition, but
      I wouldn't cite according to it if the only edition I used were the Kregel.

      I'm not recommending you cite the Kregel edition though. If at all
      possible, go to the nearest library and check the references in the LCL
      and cite from there.

      Best regards,
      Henry