completing PhD

  • Sgun370@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2005
      I am in the final stage of correcting my PhD on Nicodemus and the Samaritan
      woman. All my books are in boxes because of moving to Texas. I have 3 quotes
      from Josephus (Josephus, Complete Works (Kregal: Grand Rapids, 1960). These
      quotes are from his Antiquities - How do I footnote this?
      Thanks!
      Steven Gunderson

    • Henry Sturcke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2005
        Steve,

        I agree with Ramsey that the Josephus quotes should have been from the
        LCL edition, or, failing that, the Hendrickson edition. The Kregel
        edition is really not appropriate for scholarly work, unless Whiston
        himself is the subject of your study. But if you are unable to get to a
        library to verify these and check the wording, then this information
        might be helpful to you:

        Josephus, Complete Works (trans. W. Whiston; Grand Rapids: Kregel,
        1960). My copy was repr. 1981 and has a note: This new popularly priced
        edition . . . is a combination of the William Whiston translation
        published by William P. Nimmo, Edinburgh, Scotland in 1867 and the
        standard edition published by Porter and Coates, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

        For the actual citations, give the name of the work in the standard
        English (available in the SBL Handbook), then three numbers: book,
        chapter, section. While these don't match the standard numbering system
        used in the standard editions, it is appropriate since that is what is
        used in the edition you worked with. There are conversion tables
        available for anyone who wants to check the citations in another
        edition. In fact, there is a table in the back of my Kregel edition, but
        I wouldn't cite according to it if the only edition I used were the Kregel.

        I'm not recommending you cite the Kregel edition though. If at all
        possible, go to the nearest library and check the references in the LCL
        and cite from there.

        Best regards,
        Henry