[John_Lit] Re: REBrown

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2000
      At 05:42 PM 3/29/00 +0100, you wrote:
      >I've been meaning to ask this for a while. When I came back to the study of
      >4G after many years away, I was saddened to hear about the death of Raymond
      >Brown. I once attended his road show. It was a week with the Gospel and
      >Letters, and morning, noon, and evening, from Monday to Friday, he sat on
      >the edge of a table and talked about the Johannine Corpus. I sat as near to
      >the front as the throng of nuns would allow. He was brilliant. This was in
      >London in September 1984. Some of you knew him well. Was his death sudden,
      >or had he been ill? Any thoughts about him?

      He was a wonderful soul. I was at the CBA meeting in Scranton the very day
      he died- and it is not too much to say that the whole lot of us were stunned
      and saddened and immediately sought some way of properly memorializing him.

      The world lost a great scholar and we all lost a shining example of how
      scholarship could and should be done.

      jim

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      jwest@...
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
    • gds@dor.kaiser.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2000
        Ken,

        I teach at Fuller Northern California which is situation in St. Patrick's
        Seminary in Menlo Park, CA, where Prof. Brown retired in the late 80's or early
        90's. He continued to write and teach there, and died I believe in the summer
        of 98. As I remember from the story as told to me there at St. Patrick's, he
        died in his sleep. His picture graces the seminary as you enter its halls. I
        met him in Oakland in 1993 where he was giving just such a lecture. Brilliant
        is an understatement. FYI. There was a memorial for scholars at SBL in
        Orlando in 1998.

        Gary D. Salyer