Re: [John_Lit] Revelation - a graphic description of divine terrorism?

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2005
      Bill,

      While your title is catchy, I personally do not find your comparison of God
      and Bin Laden amusing.

      Calamity in Revelation does not fall upon the innocent, nor is its object
      simply to create terror. It is quid pro quo justice ("destroying those who
      destroy the earth," Rev. 11:18) by the entity who created both the earth and
      its inhabitants (Gen 1:1; Ps. 24:1; Rev. 4:11). That is why it is called
      "judgment."

      OTOH, I have grave reservations about anyone--Muslim, Christian or
      otherwise--who feels qualified to initiate such actions. In my opinion, s/he
      would have to be both a megalomaniac and a sociopath with violent
      tendencies. Unfortunately, the world has plenty of such people. Fortunately
      [for the rest of us], few of them have the resources to carry out their
      visions of destruction. Bin Laden is among those few.

      The author of Revelation never encourages its readers to engage in
      destruction, only to be prepared to endure it until God's reign is
      re-established, even if means their own death. However, I find it a
      fascinating commentary on human character when so many are drawn to the
      book's depiction of the Beast, his forces and their destruction--and so few
      to the Lamb and his gentle followers, faithful until death.

      I'm hoping your e-mail does not mean you have identified yourself as being
      among the first group.

      Timothy P. Jenney
      ----
      Dr. Timothy P. Jenney
      NT Adjunct, Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando