Revelation - a graphic description of divine terrorism?

  • billrossfamily
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2005
      <Bill>
      ISTM that the apocalypse describes the action of God (via his
      messengers) in toppling the governments and demoralizing the peoples
      in order to prepare the land for divine rule. This is, of course,
      well illustrated in the agenda and tactics of Bin Laden who also
      would like to use cataclysms and terror to impose his version of
      divine rule.

      Paul, I believe, makes an excellent summation of Revealtion here:

      1Co 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his
      feet.

      In fact, the passage goes on to describe what Revelation also
      describes - that when the nations are all demoralized, Jesus
      surrenders the throne to God so that God (who is a man-like deity,
      not a "spirit") may rule forever on Earth from the new Jerusalem,
      that descends from the sky - accepting tribute from the now
      submissive nations:

      26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
      27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all
      things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which
      did put all things under him.
      28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son
      also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that
      God may be all in all.

      Rev 21:
      3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the
      tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they
      shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their
      God.

      Bill Ross
    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2005
        Bill,

        While your title is catchy, I personally do not find your comparison of God
        and Bin Laden amusing.

        Calamity in Revelation does not fall upon the innocent, nor is its object
        simply to create terror. It is quid pro quo justice ("destroying those who
        destroy the earth," Rev. 11:18) by the entity who created both the earth and
        its inhabitants (Gen 1:1; Ps. 24:1; Rev. 4:11). That is why it is called
        "judgment."

        OTOH, I have grave reservations about anyone--Muslim, Christian or
        otherwise--who feels qualified to initiate such actions. In my opinion, s/he
        would have to be both a megalomaniac and a sociopath with violent
        tendencies. Unfortunately, the world has plenty of such people. Fortunately
        [for the rest of us], few of them have the resources to carry out their
        visions of destruction. Bin Laden is among those few.

        The author of Revelation never encourages its readers to engage in
        destruction, only to be prepared to endure it until God's reign is
        re-established, even if means their own death. However, I find it a
        fascinating commentary on human character when so many are drawn to the
        book's depiction of the Beast, his forces and their destruction--and so few
        to the Lamb and his gentle followers, faithful until death.

        I'm hoping your e-mail does not mean you have identified yourself as being
        among the first group.

        Timothy P. Jenney
        ----
        Dr. Timothy P. Jenney
        NT Adjunct, Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando