Revelation of John

  • Ian E. Rock
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2005
      Dear listers:
      I am in the process of putting together a third level
      BA degree module on the apocalypse of John. I want to
      particularly examine popular contemporary use of
      Revelation in religious movements. I'd appreciate if
      you could send me some of the texts you find suitable
      and the reason why. Thanks for your help.
      Blessings

      The Rev. Ian E. Rock
      Lecturer - New Testament Studies
      Codrington College
      St. John J06
      Barbados, West Indies

      "Chriscore"
      Ton Bend Road
      Ashton Hall
      St. Peter
      Barbados West Indies

      Telephone: (246) 422 2562
      email: ianerock@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • leeedgartyler
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2005
        Hello, Ian,

        You might want to go straight to the horse's mouth and get literature
        from some of the ministries that emphasize apocalyptic aspects of the
        faith.

        Elaine Lawless of the University of Missouri has done considerable work
        with folk sermons in the rural midwest, and of course these often use
        John's Apocalypse as source texts. I'm a bit out of touch with her work
        now (my interests have gone to the other end of the time spectrum for
        these beliefs), but you should find a pretty copious resource in her work.

        best,

        Ed Tyler

        Ian E. Rock wrote:

        >Dear listers:
        >I am in the process of putting together a third level
        >BA degree module on the apocalypse of John. I want to
        >particularly examine popular contemporary use of
        >Revelation in religious movements. I'd appreciate if
        >you could send me some of the texts you find suitable
        >and the reason why. Thanks for your help.
        >Blessings
        >
        >The Rev. Ian E. Rock
        >Lecturer - New Testament Studies
        >Codrington College
        >St. John J06
        >Barbados, West Indies
        >
        >"Chriscore"
        >Ton Bend Road
        >Ashton Hall
        >St. Peter
        >Barbados West Indies
        >
        >Telephone: (246) 422 2562
        >email: ianerock@...

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Q Bee
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2005
          Dear Ian,

          YOu might want to consider Margaret Nutting Ralph's material in her
          book "And God Said What?" which gives the literary form of a
          "Revelation".

          Elaine
          in Tacoma

          On Apr 24, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Ian E. Rock wrote:

          > Dear listers:
          > I am in the process of putting together a third level
          > BA degree module on the apocalypse of John. I want to
          > particularly examine popular contemporary use of
          > Revelation in religious movements. I'd appreciate if
          > you could send me some of the texts you find suitable
          > and the reason why. Thanks for your help.
          > Blessings
          >
          > The Rev. Ian E. Rock
          > Lecturer - New Testament Studies
          > Codrington College
          > St. John J06
          > Barbados, West Indies
          >
          > "Chriscore"
          > Ton Bend Road
          > Ashton Hall
          > St. Peter
          > Barbados West Indies
          >
          > Telephone: (246) 422 2562
          > email: ianerock@...

          > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Timothy P. Jenney
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
            Ian,

            What a great idea!

            I have been particularly frustrated with the use of the Apocalypse by such
            groups as the Montana Freedman and the Michigan Militia--fundamentalist
            paramilitary groups who use Revelation as a rationale for weapons training.

            Please send me any material sent to you off list. Meanwhile, I'll see if I
            can document the above uses.

            Blessings,
            Dr. J