[John_Lit] Re: Chapter 21

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29 6:38 AM
      Thanks, Ken.

      I haven't discussed this particular item with Professor Hengel, but the
      conjecture is that the introductory title was added earlier rather than
      later. I have no idea how something like that would be verified or
      disconfirmed. I do remember discussing with Professor Hengel his view
      that the second-century testimony to John's apostolic connection (if not
      authorship) was quite early and clear, and he spell this out in his book.
      I think the title comes along by the middle second century, at the
      latest, but let me look into it.

      A good question, that!

      PA

      Paul N. Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29 8:11 PM
        Ken,

        I was also a participant in Hengel's Famous Friday
        Night Table Talks (for 5 years, 1990-1995), but I
        don't recall his ever discussing this point (though he
        might have done so before my German improved enough to
        follow the discussion).

        I also don't recall Hengel's specific reasons from my
        reading of his book some 10 years ago, but I think,
        though, that Hengel draws his conclusions--that the
        title belongs to the text of the Fourth Gospel and
        that the author of chapter 21 added it--from his
        arguments that John the Elder was the author of the
        first 20 chapters and that the earliest references to
        the Fourth Gospel refer to it as "The Gospel According
        to John".

        In other words, Hengel's argument is probably based
        upon his narrowing of the historical window to a brief
        enough time (between the probable date of John the
        Elder's death and the first reference to the Gospel of
        John) that the most plausible conslusion is that the
        author of chapter 21 added the title.

        Hengel probably has other reasons as well, but as I
        said, I don't recall them. Wish that I could be of
        more help on this.

        Perhaps I'll ask him the next time that we correspond.

        Jeff Hodges

        http://im.yahoo.com