Early Jewish Anti-Christian Rhetoric?

  • Andrew T. Dolan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 12:03 PM
      Other than the birkat ha-minim (on which I find Kimelman persuasive)
      and the Toledoth Yeshu, what would be our earliest Jewish anti-
      Christian rhetoric in a *non-Christian* Jewish source (i.e., outside
      Justin's Dialogue and Origen, Contra Celsus)?

      Thanks!

      Andy

      Andrew T. Dolan
      Religion and Classics
      La Salle University
      Philadelphia, PA 19141
      pharmaka@...
      dolan@...
    • Tobias Hägerland
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8 9:47 AM
        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew T. Dolan"
        <rev921scholar@y...> wrote:

        > Other than the birkat ha-minim (on which I find Kimelman
        persuasive)
        > and the Toledoth Yeshu, what would be our earliest Jewish anti-
        > Christian rhetoric in a *non-Christian* Jewish source (i.e.,
        outside
        > Justin's Dialogue and Origen, Contra Celsus)?

        Did you check Alan F. Segal's _Two Powers in Heaven_? It is a
        fascinating survey of (among other things) anti-Christian and anti-
        Gnostic rhetoric in the rabbinic literature.

        /Tobias Hägerland
        Göteborg University
      • Fred Guyette
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2005
          "Sacraments in John."
          The abstract of Thyen's article (see below) promises a neat overview of
          the state of the question -- however, I can't read German -- is there an
          English article or book that would offer a similar overview? Who is
          Klos? Does his way of organizing these differing views make sense to
          others on the list? Suggestions for articles or books would be appreciated.

          My question is prompted by Cullmann's book on worship in John -- which I
          picked up at a book sale -- he's persuasive, but I would like to know
          the wider context of the discussion

          Thank You,
          Fred Guyette
          Erskine College and Seminary

          Author: Thyen, Hartwig
          Title: AUS DER LITERATUR ZUM JOHANNESEVANGELIUM (From the
          Literature on the Gospel of John).
          Journal: Theologische Rundschau
          Year: 1979
          Volume: 44(2)
          Page: 97 - 134
          Johannine sacramental theology are discussed. While Lindars went
          beyond Bultmann in demonstrating the anachronism of reading
          Reformation sacramental theology into John, Klos has pointed out
          five modern interpretative directions: (1) antisacramental
          (Bornkamm, Schweizer), (2) spiritual (Barth, MacGregor), (3)
          sacramental (Cullmann, Wilkins), (4) symbolic (Niewalda, Brown),
          and critical-reserved (Barrett, Schnackenburg). This survey leads
          to a review of the positions on the critical texts: John 6:51ff.,
          3:1ff., 19:34f., 1 John 5:6 - 8, 20:19 - 23, and 13:1ff. To be
          continued. (German)