Looking for author's name

  • Joe Gagne
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
      Can anybody please tell me if they know who the author of the following is:

      JOHN MARK AND THE ORIGIN OF THE FOURTH GOSPEL

      There are four appearances in the Fourth Gospel of a person identified
      only as the disciple whom Jesus loved. The claim is made that the Gospel
      incorporates his written, eyewitness account of things that Jesus did
      (John 21:24). According to tradition, his name was John, and he has been
      further identified as the son of Zebedee.

      In a thesis I submitted to New York University in 1970 and published in
      1979, I suggested that the Beloved Disciple was John, also called Mark,
      who was Peter's flesh-and-blood son (1 Peter 5:13). I advanced the
      hypothesis that Mark wrote a foundation document, designated G for
      Grundschrift, which was used by the author of the Fourth Gospel.

      In this paper I suggest that the community of the Beloved Disciple which
      produced the Fourth Gospel was one of the Egyptian churches founded by
      Mark, probably in Alexandria. The Alexandrian origin of the Fourth
      Gospel was first set forth in 1820. J. J. Gunther presented arguments
      for this in 1979 in the Catholic Biblical Quarterly.

      Thank you.

      Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.
      University of South Carolina Sumter
      jogagne@...
      joegagne@...
      http://www.joegagne.com
      http://www.fourthgospel.com

    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
        Main Author: Melick, George F.
        Title: John Mark and the origin of the gospels : a foundation document
        hypothesis /

        Publisher: Ardmore, Pa. : Dorrance, c1979.

        Richard H. Anderson

        Can anybody please tell me if they know who the author of the following is:
        *************************************

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mike McLafferty
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
          J. Gagne wrote:

          | Can anybody please tell me if they know who the
          | author of the following is:
          |
          | JOHN MARK AND THE ORIGIN OF THE
          | FOURTH GOSPEL

          Wouldn't that be list member George Melick, whose paper by this title is
          posted on your website?
          http://www.fourthgospel.com/SBL87-2.htm

          M. McLafferty

        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
            Sorry for not having answered earlier. I am in the
            middle of writing a manuscript.

            I might add the following:

            ISBN : 080592650X
            A revision of the author�s thesis, New York
            University, 1970.

            Richard,

            I will answer your private email later. I am not
            ignoring you, just swamped with research and writing.
            I have a few comments to add to what you wrote.

            Apologies to the list for this private esoterica. I
            thought it convenient to answer both simultaneously.

            --- "Richard H. Anderson" <randerson58@...>
            wrote:

            > Main Author: Melick, George F.
            > Title: John Mark and the origin of the gospels : a
            > foundation document
            > hypothesis /
            >
            > Publisher: Ardmore, Pa. : Dorrance, c1979.
            >
            > Richard H. Anderson

            John N. Lupia, III
            Toms River New Jersey 08757 USA
            Fax: (732) 349-3910
            God Bless America

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Joe Gagne
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
              Thanks so much, and yes it is on my web site along with a few thousand
              others. How did you remember it? I had obtained this copy from the SBL
              but did not have with the file the name of the person. Thanks so much.

              --
              Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.
              University of South Carolina Sumter
              jogagne@...
              joegagne@...
              http://www.joegagne.com
              http://www.fourthgospel.com
            • Bill Ross
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
                An alternate suggestion I have seen is Lazarus.

                Bill Ross