Re: [John_Lit] Jn 2.29 "rejoices in joy"

  • Beata Urbanek
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      J 3,29: CHARA CHAIREI is associative dative (dativus modi which in this case
      is also dativus internus). It is used in the NT as a imitation of the Hebrew
      infinitive absolute (Gen 2,17: mot tamut - you shall die by death). The
      construction is used for emphasis.

      Is this what you were asking?
      Beata

      Beata Urbanek
      PhD student
      Institute of Biblical Studies
      Catholic University of Lublin

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        P.S. My previous explanation was a grammatical one. Literary it is
        etymologica figura (schema etymologicum). It is also paranomasia (affinity
        in pronunciation).

        Beata Urbanek
        Salle University