Jn 2.29 "rejoices in joy"

  • Andrew T. Dolan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      Can anyone tell me the literary term for an expression such
      as "rejoices in joy" (Jn 3.29)? I think it might be the same as for
      an expression such as "light the light."

      Many thanks.

      Andy

      Andrew T. Dolan
      Graduate Biblical Studies Faculty
      Core Adjunct Professor of Religion
      Adjunct Professor of Latin
      La Salle University
      1900 W. Olney Avenue
      Philadelphia, PA 19141
      http://www.lasalle.edu/~dolan/links.htm
      dolan@...
      http://home.comcast.net/~pharmaka
      pharmaka@...
    • Q Bee
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Andrew T. Dolan wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me the literary term for an expression such
        > as "rejoices in joy" (Jn 3.29)? I think it might be the same as for
        > an expression such as "light the light."

        Most of the translations say 'rejoices greatly'.

        Mother Elaine+

        Tacoma, WA
      • Timothy P. Jenney
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          > Can anyone tell me the literary term for an expression such
          > as "rejoices in joy" (Jn 3.29)? I think it might be the same as for
          > an expression such as "light the light."

          Andy,

          I think my language profs referred to it as periphrastic phrasing [which it
          is], but it think the more precise term is polyptoton (see
          http://www.nipissingu.ca/faculty/williams/figofspe.htm#Figures%20of%20Repeti
          tion%20(words).

          The figure is very common in Hebrew, where it is used to provide emphasis.
          This probably influenced its use in the Greek of 4G.

          Timothy P. Jenney
          Adj. Prof., Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

          > From: "Andrew T. Dolan" <rev921scholar@...>
          > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:56:18 -0000
          > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [John_Lit] Jn 2.29 "rejoices in joy"
          >

          > Many thanks.
          >
          > Andy
          >
          > Andrew T. Dolan
          > Graduate Biblical Studies Faculty
          > Core Adjunct Professor of Religion
          > Adjunct Professor of Latin
          > La Salle University
          > 1900 W. Olney Avenue
          > Philadelphia, PA 19141
          > http://www.lasalle.edu/~dolan/links.htm
          > dolan@...
          > http://home.comcast.net/~pharmaka
          > pharmaka@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Beata Urbanek
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
            J 3,29: CHARA CHAIREI is associative dative (dativus modi which in this case
            is also dativus internus). It is used in the NT as a imitation of the Hebrew
            infinitive absolute (Gen 2,17: mot tamut - you shall die by death). The
            construction is used for emphasis.

            Is this what you were asking?
            Beata

            Beata Urbanek
            PhD student
            Institute of Biblical Studies
            Catholic University of Lublin

            > Can anyone tell me the literary term for an expression such
            > as "rejoices in joy" (Jn 3.29)? I think it might be the same as for
            > an expression such as "light the light."
            >
            > Many thanks.
            >
            > Andy

          • Beata Urbanek
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
              P.S. My previous explanation was a grammatical one. Literary it is
              etymologica figura (schema etymologicum). It is also paranomasia (affinity
              in pronunciation).

              Beata Urbanek
              Salle University