Re: [John_Lit] judgment in John 5

  • baurbanek
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
      Thanks, Joe.
      I'd like to add that I've read more than 30 comments on the subject
      (commentaries, articles, dictionaries) and analysis of this text is a
      part of my PhD thesis.
      I'm wondering if krisis in v.24 is something done in the present and
      which can change (in spite of the fact that metabainw is in perf); I
      mean people can move from the sphere of thanatos (spiritula death) to
      life if they arestening to Jesus' word and are believing (so he
      continues to od these things). Otherwise, they are judged. But if a
      man stops believing he comes back to thanatos/krisis. So, it's human
      decision in confrontation with revelation in Jesus.

      Then, after physical death (v. 28) we'll be called again by the same
      voice and divided according to the (final?) decision we've made in
      life. But the text speaks about doing good and evil - as if the
      (last) judgment was according to our deeds.

      Finally, I'm not sure if there's any connection with the Revelation's
      idea of first resurrection (with J 5,24) and second death (J 5,29b).
      And, consequently, if we can speak about second resurrection (5,29a)
      and first death (v. 24).

      Beata Urbanek
      doctorate candidate (I'm not sure what it is called in English,
      please correct me if necessary. And forgive me my mistakes.)
      Catholic University of Lublin
      Poland