Re: Help!

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2004
      Bibleworks gives for the text of NA27 Joh:
      1007 different words
      15625 words in total

      There are 196 words (319 occ.) in John that are not in Mat - Luk.

      > Also I have been thinking about why there are
      > more present tense verbs than aorists in John, any
      > thoughts?

      Not sure what you mean. In John there are
      forms occ.
      present 324 1175
      aorist 438 1118

      If you count forms, there are more aorists than present tense forms. The
      overall occurrences are about the same. You might better want to ask why
      John is using so many perfects.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2004
        --- Sgun370@... wrote:

        > I am finishing a paper and need to know how many
        > vocab words in John
        > (something like226?)

        Anthony Kenny cites Friberg and Davison in Table 3.1
        giving John a word count of 15,635 words. See Anthony
        Kenny, A Stylometric Study of the New Testament
        (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1986) ISBN 0-19-826178-0.
        See p.14 for Table 3.1.

        > Also, looking for the source of a review by
        > Kingsbury concerning the ICC
        > commentary on Matthew by Davies and Allison. This
        > quoted in the book Mark &
        > Method, Anderson & More (I think).

        You think correctly. Janice Capel Anderson and Stephen
        D. Moore, eds., Mark and Method. New Approaches in
        Biblical Studies. (Fortress Press, Minn., 1992). ISBN
        0-8006-2655-9. See pages 11-13 especially footnote
        no. 33 on page 11 that refers you to Jack Dean
        Kingsbury's review of W. D. Davies and Dale C.
        Allison, Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the
        Gospel according to Saint Matthew. Volume 1:
        Introduction and Commentary on Matthew I-VII
        (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1988), in Journal of Biblical
        Literature 110 (1991): 344-46.

        There is a large quote from the review (pages 11-12)
        that encapsulates Kingsbury's criticism, mainly that
        Davies and Allison ignore narratological aspects of
        Matthew. Theology rather than narrative is the focus
        of their work, which, according to Kingsbury obscures
        Matthew's narrative all together.

        Also I have been
        > thinking about why there are
        > more present tense verbs than aorists in John, any
        > thoughts?
        > Steven Gunderson

        See Anthony Kenny's book aforementioned, especially
        Table 11.4 on page 70 that shows present tense verbs =
        554 and aorist = 507. His note below the table
        indicates that only verbs in the third person singular
        are included and the stats are once again provided by
        Frieberg.

        Sorry to answer in haste with such brevity and
        incompleteness. I will not be available to assist you
        further in this matter until after December 5th on my
        return from Monaco.

        John

        =====
        John N. Lupia, III