Help!

  • Sgun370@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2004
      I am finishing a paper and need to know how many vocab words in John
      (something like226?)
      Also, looking for the source of a review by Kingsbury concerning the ICC
      commentary on Matthew by Davies and Allison. This quoted in the book Mark &
      Method, Anderson & More (I think). Also I have been thinking about why there are
      more present tense verbs than aorists in John, any thoughts?
      Steven Gunderson

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2004
        Bibleworks gives for the text of NA27 Joh:
        1007 different words
        15625 words in total

        There are 196 words (319 occ.) in John that are not in Mat - Luk.

        > Also I have been thinking about why there are
        > more present tense verbs than aorists in John, any
        > thoughts?

        Not sure what you mean. In John there are
        forms occ.
        present 324 1175
        aorist 438 1118

        If you count forms, there are more aorists than present tense forms. The
        overall occurrences are about the same. You might better want to ask why
        John is using so many perfects.

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
      • John Lupia
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2004
          --- Sgun370@... wrote:

          > I am finishing a paper and need to know how many
          > vocab words in John
          > (something like226?)

          Anthony Kenny cites Friberg and Davison in Table 3.1
          giving John a word count of 15,635 words. See Anthony
          Kenny, A Stylometric Study of the New Testament
          (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1986) ISBN 0-19-826178-0.
          See p.14 for Table 3.1.

          > Also, looking for the source of a review by
          > Kingsbury concerning the ICC
          > commentary on Matthew by Davies and Allison. This
          > quoted in the book Mark &
          > Method, Anderson & More (I think).

          You think correctly. Janice Capel Anderson and Stephen
          D. Moore, eds., Mark and Method. New Approaches in
          Biblical Studies. (Fortress Press, Minn., 1992). ISBN
          0-8006-2655-9. See pages 11-13 especially footnote
          no. 33 on page 11 that refers you to Jack Dean
          Kingsbury's review of W. D. Davies and Dale C.
          Allison, Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the
          Gospel according to Saint Matthew. Volume 1:
          Introduction and Commentary on Matthew I-VII
          (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1988), in Journal of Biblical
          Literature 110 (1991): 344-46.

          There is a large quote from the review (pages 11-12)
          that encapsulates Kingsbury's criticism, mainly that
          Davies and Allison ignore narratological aspects of
          Matthew. Theology rather than narrative is the focus
          of their work, which, according to Kingsbury obscures
          Matthew's narrative all together.

          Also I have been
          > thinking about why there are
          > more present tense verbs than aorists in John, any
          > thoughts?
          > Steven Gunderson

          See Anthony Kenny's book aforementioned, especially
          Table 11.4 on page 70 that shows present tense verbs =
          554 and aorist = 507. His note below the table
          indicates that only verbs in the third person singular
          are included and the stats are once again provided by
          Frieberg.

          Sorry to answer in haste with such brevity and
          incompleteness. I will not be available to assist you
          further in this matter until after December 5th on my
          return from Monaco.

          John

          =====
          John N. Lupia, III