[John_Lit] Re: Two anointing episodes?

  • Tobias H├Ągerland
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 6, 2004
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bullin"
      <bill.bullin@u...> wrote:

      > P.S. Does your 2003 article's scepticism of esotericism and 4G
      preclude the
      > influence of something akin to the Jewish mysticism as attested by
      the
      > Qumran and Scrolls and in the early Jewish literature or the Greek,
      Egyptian
      > and quasi-Persian mystery religions?

      No, it does not. The article is a critique of the scholarly
      perception of GJohn as a 'two-level drama', the theory launched by
      J.L. Martyn and then developed above all by R.E. Brown. To summarize
      my argument, I point out that GJohn belongs within the ancient
      biographical genre, which makes it unlikely that it was meant to be
      taken as a history of the Johannine community in allegorical
      disguise. Thus, I propose that one should refrain from searching for
      veiled parallel stories in GJohn - which is, essentially, a Life of
      Jesus. (For a somewhat similar point of view, see T. Wiarda, 'Scenes
      and Details in the Gospels: Concrete Reading and Three Alternatives',
      _NTS_ 50 (2004), pp. 167-184.)

      This does not in principle preclude influences of early Jewish
      mysticism, mystery religions, ancient Greek tragedy, Hinduism... or
      whatever. But it is a warning against finding such 'influences' on an
      alleged allegorical level. That there are connections between GJohn
      and Qumran, Enochic mysticism etc. seems fairly evident to me; but I
      think this kind of 'mysticism' should be carefully distinguished
      from 'mystery religions' (such as the mysteries of Isis, Osiris,
      Cybele-Attis).

      /Tobias H├Ągerland
    • Q Bee
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 23, 2004
        On Dec 23, 2004, at 7:47 AM, pastor_t@... wrote:

        > Hello Q Bee, Tobias and Old Friends from the J-Lit List,
        > I am Thomas W. Butler. I have just re-joined this list after
        > almost two years away. I am a United Methodist Pastor, having just
        > made a transition from serving the First United Methodist Church of
        > Tracy, California to being the Senior Pastor at Sparks United
        > Methodist Church in Sparks, Nevada.
        > I am the author of Let Her Keep It. Thank you, Q Bee, for
        > recommending my book.

        Dear Tom+,

        I'm very pleased to see you here once again.

        Your book has been most helpful in teaching the layers of the fourth
        gospel. I've given your address to several people and I hope they have
        bought it from you. It had better stay in print so that I can continue
        to send people your way. It is a very well crafted piece of work.

        Peace and blessings to all. May you find the Christ in each person you
        meet this Christmas season; and may you be the Christ to each of them.

        Elaine+