Re: [John_Lit] Re: Two anointing episodes?

  • Q Bee
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 4, 2004
      On 10/4/04 6:15 AM, "Tobias H├Ągerland" <tobias.hagerland@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Q Bee <artforms@n...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> If one is not familiar with the mysteries schools and Egyptian
      > Temple
      >> practices of anointing of the feet as an initiation rites, the
      > scenario is:
      >> one 'dies to the old' and is born anew, just as is presently taught
      > in the
      >> concept of Christian baptism.
      >
      > (---)
      >
      >> However, getting back to the occurrence of Mary who 'wiped his feet
      > with her
      >> hair', it does make sense that the mystery rite scenario is in play
      > wherein
      >> the 'death and rebirth' of an initiation rite establish Jesus as
      > the sacred
      >> altar of the New Jerusalem while the head of the priest who is to
      > serve at
      >> the altar is anointed into service.
      >
      > For my part, I doubt that Egyptian/mystery religion rites throw any
      > real light on this episode, or on GJohn at large.

      Lack of knowledge of Middle Eastern mystery rites really does leave one at a
      disadvantage as a scholar, doesn't it?

      > I find GJohn to be
      > firmly set within Jewish thinking. The multiple references in this
      > Gospel to religious celebrations and rituals are thoroughly Jewish,
      > which is why I wished to draw attention to the lack of parallels to
      > an anointing of the feet within early Jewish literature (I apologize
      > for not bringing this out clearly). Now, I am not certain how we as
      > readers are supposed to recognize that Jesus is the 'altar of the New
      > Jerusalem' in this episode. But alright, we have the theme of Jesus'
      > body as a Temple in GJohn, so let us suppose that he is depicted as
      > the altar here. I would like to ask, then, why the altar of the new
      > Jerusalem temple, which for all we know is expected to be a Jewish
      > temple, is consecrated through an Egyptian ritual?

      Tobias, are you likely to think that Mary actually burst into song upon
      meeting with Elizabeth because Luke portrays their meeting in that manner?

      > Further, I wonder
      > whether Egyptian priests consecrated themselves by rubbing their hair
      > against the anointed altar?

      Since you are uninformed regarding the mystery rites of Middle Eastern
      groups I assume you may be unaware of your post's tone as well. If you
      can't find a scenario for the anointing of a head in OT literature what can
      be said? I highly recommend that you read Thomas W. Butler's "Let Her Keep
      It".

      Elaine Bessette

      Tacoma, WA
    • Q Bee
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 23, 2004
        On Dec 23, 2004, at 7:47 AM, pastor_t@... wrote:

        > Hello Q Bee, Tobias and Old Friends from the J-Lit List,
        > I am Thomas W. Butler. I have just re-joined this list after
        > almost two years away. I am a United Methodist Pastor, having just
        > made a transition from serving the First United Methodist Church of
        > Tracy, California to being the Senior Pastor at Sparks United
        > Methodist Church in Sparks, Nevada.
        > I am the author of Let Her Keep It. Thank you, Q Bee, for
        > recommending my book.

        Dear Tom+,

        I'm very pleased to see you here once again.

        Your book has been most helpful in teaching the layers of the fourth
        gospel. I've given your address to several people and I hope they have
        bought it from you. It had better stay in print so that I can continue
        to send people your way. It is a very well crafted piece of work.

        Peace and blessings to all. May you find the Christ in each person you
        meet this Christmas season; and may you be the Christ to each of them.

        Elaine+