Re: [John_Lit] Two burial stories

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 14, 2004
      In a message dated 9/13/2004 3:11:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      joseph5@... writes:

      > The need for the believers to understand their faith (fides quearens
      > intellctum) implies that there are difficult problems

      That would be "fides quaerens intellectum". As for the English part of your
      post, I enjoyed reading it very much. I am tempted to attribute your keenness
      of thought to the good air of the Lebanon mountains, but that would be special
      pleading on my part, and would do less than credit to your own intellectual
      accomplishment.You are certainly an articulate spokesman for a rationalistic
      approach to Scripture, and make a good case that it is, in some measure, one to
      which we are all summoned by our profession -- as to a certain level of
      maturity. Thanks for raising important issues which inevitably form the background of
      our work, but are perhaps too seldom reflected upon in explicit terms. I do
      hope, however, that we also hear from someone who remains unconvinced that we
      are obligated or entitled, without paying a penalty for it, to "separate what
      God has joined", as you so nicely put it.

      Leonard Maluf