Re: [John_Lit] Jesus' Father & Mother

  • Matthew Estrada
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2004
      Thanks, George, for the reference. I do remember reading it about one month back. I just re-read it. Joe has been gracious enough to also post my unpublished paper on his website, in which I attempt to demonstrate that John's Gospel is weaved from a variety of OT, Pauline, and Synoptic texts in the author's attempt to demonstrate that the correct interpretation of the Law and the Prophets (contra the interpretation that "the Jews"/religious leaders) testifies in favor of viewing Jesus as the promised Messiah. In my opinion, John's gospel is largely an allegorical treatise on the relationship between the correct interpretation of the Law and the Prophets (vs "the Jews" erroneous interpretation) and Jesus. Thus not to be interpreted in a literal historical fashion. In my opinion, where we read of Jesus on the cross saying to his mother, "Woman, here is your son", and to his disciple, "Here is your mother", it is the climax and completion of what John had foretold in his Cana Miracle
      story, which is an allegorical story made up of many different sources, which symbolizes Jesus death and resurrection, and what is accomplished via His death and resurrection, which is the changing of one dispensation (the Law and the Prophets=water) into another dispensation (the outpouring of the Holy Spirit=wine), and thus the joining of the Old with the New (Jn 2:12- "After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days").

      geomelick@... wrote:Hi Matt:

      My source theory of the Fourth Gospel is outlined in a paper I presented at
      the national meeting of the Society for Biblical Literature in 1987. It can be
      accessed on Joe Gagne's website, www.fourthgospel.com under unpublished
      papers.

      George

      George Melick, MA