Re: Nazareth "nonexistant"

  • Martin Edwards
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2004
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
      <jgibson000@c...> wrote:

      > mr_atoz@y... wrote:
      >
      > > Unless someone can find an OT reference to a Jesus from the--as yet
      > > nonexistant--town of Nazareth
      >
      > What do you mean by "nonexistant"?
      >
      > Jeffrey
      > --
      >
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      >
      > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      > Chicago, IL 60626
      >
      > jgibson000@c...

      He means exactly what he says: he just spelt it wrong. I'm not so sure
      you really are an Oxford man. Anyone can say they have an Oxford
      degree and Americans are easily impressed by such things. You give a
      Chicago private address, but no current institution. Your
      argumentative methods are:
      1) asking for definitions of terms that any moderately educated person
      understands;
      2) quoting other posters' terms with the implication that their very
      use is ridiculous;
      3) ridicule pure and simple;
      4) asking if the poster has read long reading lists with the
      implication that you have. I should like to exhume your lambasting me
      with Klassen and others on the subject of Judas. It turns out that
      these are all based on the Biblical text and the assumption that Judas
      existed. The assumption itself is not examined. I have read Eisenman
      three times, and the arguments for Judas being a literary device used
      to discredit the Desposyni are sound. I do not say that they are
      proved, only that they are sound. One may, of course, follow the
      Stanton doctrine that no theory outside the concensus is worthy of
      consideration unless it is conclusively proved: I do not. You are a
      sophist and a troll.

      Martin Edwards BA(UEA) PGCE(Hull) RT(England and Wales)
      Last gig: Moseley High School, Birmingham, last Wednesday.