Re: Baptism of John

  • mr_atoz@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 25 , May 24, 2004
      I don't believe it was "baptisms" themselves that prompted such a
      question from his peers but rather their sheer volume. The historian
      Josephus recounts that Herod Antipas was concerned that John's
      following was such that he feared a scenario in which these people
      would be completely obedient to John. Likewise these numbers--esp. in
      those times--almost certainly would have led to questions about
      John's potential political ambitions as a prophet--or messiah.
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Bob MacDonald