Re: [John_Lit] John 20:31 and the BD

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 25 , May 17, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Martin Edwards" <martin.edwards5@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [John_Lit] John 20:31 and the BD

      > > Problem is -- is that you haven't shown that it **is** a "literary
      > device", let
      > > alone "only" a literary device, or that there would be any good
      > reason for those
      > > whose aim was to discredit the Jerusalem leadership to employ it.
      > >

      > > Jeffrey
      > > --
      > >
      > > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      > >
      > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      > > Chicago, IL 60626
      > >
      > > jgibson000@c...
      >
      > No, I haven't shown it conclusively, but I think I have gone a long
      > way towards establishing motive. Those who wish to discredit the
      > Jerusalem leadership, non-Jews, posit a betrayal by a figure symbolic
      > of both "the Jews" and Jesus's family. If there was such a project it
      > was successful, as the Roman Church began its drive for domination
      > after the revolt and actually installed a Bishop of its own in Jerusalem.

      Hold on a sec. My historical nose is getting tweaked. If you are talking
      about the 1st Jewish War, there was no "Roman Church" and members of the
      Desposynoi continued to be "Bishops" (wrong word, really) of the Jerusalem
      Assembly for decades. Shymeon led the group out of Jerusalem during the
      Roman destruction. He was followed by Judas, Zaccheus, Tobias, Benjamin,
      Yohanon, Mattaya, Philip, Seneca, Judas, Levi, Ephraim, Joseph and Judas at
      which time the Bar Kochba revolt began 148ish CE.

      Jack

      -----

      Dakma daEBadton l'chad min hoLEYN AHi zeUOreh ly haw EBadton

      Jack Kilmon
      San Marcos, Tx
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 25 , May 17, 2004
        Jack Kilmon wrote:

> [...]

        And all of whom, according to Eusebius, were "Hebrews" and were circumcised and
        none of whom were installed by "Rome".

        So Martin, if you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it.

        Jeffrey
        --

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 25 , May 17, 2004
          Martin Edwards wrote:

          > You have me nearly right but not quite. I do not think that Paul
          > thought that there was any betrayal, but a later writer read one into
          > what he wrote. As for the invective, I shall not engage.

          But you do concede

          1. that both he and those to whom he is writing in 1 Cor. are aware that Jesus
          was "handed over/delivered up" by someone on the night before he died to those
          who subsequently put him to death, and

          2. that this tradition of Jesus being "handed over" to his executioners is not
          something that Paul invented

          yes?

          And given

          1. that PARADIDWMI did not mean "arrest", and

          2. that when used, as in 1 Cor, of a person who, as a result of his handing
          over, meets his death, the verb means "betrayal",

          why do you insist that the interpretation (interpolation?) that this "handing
          over" was a betrayal is something that is only later read into Paul's text?

          Was the work of this unknown, but "Pauline dependent" person who originated the
          betrayal theme known to Matthew? To Mark?

          Jeffrey

          --

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...
        • Matthew Estrada
          Message 4 of 25 , May 17, 2004
            Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:
            Does the history of baptism justify the question of those
            sent from the Pharisees (John 1:24)?

            It seems to imply that for John to be baptizing requires
            that he be one of the three: Messiah, Elijah or the prophet.

            Thanks

            Bob

            Hello Bob,

            I would encourage you to read an unpublished paper I wrote which argues for the thesis that the Baptist in John's Gospel is a personification of "the Law and the Prophets". The Baptist is placed into the role of "the Law and the Prophets", and as such, testifies in favor of seeing Jesus as the Messiah, and against "the Jews of Jerusalem who would elevate the role of the Law and the Prophets to a higher stature than where it was originally intended to stand. John the author is rewriting Pauline theology using allegory as his genre, in my opinion. You may read the paper at the link below, or by going to Joe Gagne's website on Johannine Literature.
            http://www.fourthgospel.com/unpub.htm#e

            Matthew Estrada

            113 Laurel Court

            Peachtree City, Ga 30269

          • Martin Edwards
            Message 5 of 25 , May 18, 2004
              --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
              <jgibson000@c...> wrote:

              > > Hold on a sec. My historical nose is getting tweaked. If you are
              talking
              > > about the 1st Jewish War, there was no "Roman Church" and members
              of the
              > > Desposynoi continued to be "Bishops" (wrong word, really) of the
              Jerusalem
              > > Assembly for decades. Shymeon led the group out of Jerusalem
              during the
              > > Roman destruction. He was followed by Judas, Zaccheus, Tobias,
              Benjamin,
              > > Yohanon, Mattaya, Philip, Seneca, Judas, Levi, Ephraim, Joseph and
              Judas at
              > > which time the Bar Kochba revolt began 148ish CE.
              >
              > And all of whom, according to Eusebius, were "Hebrews" and were
              circumcised and
              > none of whom were installed by "Rome".
              >
              > So Martin, if you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it.

              After Simeon led the community out of Jerusalem, there was a
              "Catholic" bishop in Jerusalem. As noted above, I just haven't got
              time to look it up on a weekday. Perhaps "Roman" is premature, as
              Rome had only just begun its bid for power. The Desposyni tried to
              get their rights restored on several occasions, with little effect.

              Mart.
            • Martin Edwards
              Message 6 of 25 , May 18, 2004
                <jgibson000@c...> wrote:

                > Martin Edwards wrote:
                >

                > > You have me nearly right but not quite. I do not think that Paul
                > > thought that there was any betrayal, but a later writer read one into
                > > what he wrote. As for the invective, I shall not engage.
                > >

                > But you do concede
                >
                > 1. that both he and those to whom he is writing in 1 Cor. are aware
                that Jesus
                > was "handed over/delivered up" by someone on the night before he
                died to those
                > who subsequently put him to death, and
                >
                > 2. that this tradition of Jesus being "handed over" to his
                executioners is not
                > something that Paul invented
                >
                > yes?

                Not necessarily. I was just reluctant to broaden the debate to
                unmanageable dimensions. It has been argued (and I can give you the
                reference) that the story grew up (not necessarily invented by Paul)
                as a legend of origin for the Mass, which was actually absorbed from
                the mystery religions.

                > And given
                >
                > 1. that PARADIDWMI did not mean "arrest", and
                >
                > 2. that when used, as in 1 Cor, of a person who, as a result of
                his handing
                > over, meets his death, the verb means "betrayal",
                >
                > why do you insist that the interpretation (interpolation?) that this
                "handing
                > over" was a betrayal is something that is only later read into
                Paul's text?

                > Was the work of this unknown, but "Pauline dependent" person who
                originated the
                > betrayal theme known to Matthew? To Mark?
                >
                > Jeffrey

                Again this is going to go way OT and Felix is sure to stop us fairly
                soon, but Enoch Powell argues that Matthew is a composite document
                and, incidentally makes the point that there was not much for Judas to
                do, without taking this line of thought any further. My unknown
                author's work could have got into it without the author being well
                known. As you say, much of this is speculation; but the concensus is
                speculation piled on speculation for centuries. Christians only think
                that it is historical fact because they have been taught it from
                childhood.

                Mart.
              • Jeffrey B. Gibson
                Message 7 of 25 , May 18, 2004
                  Martin Edwards wrote:

                  > --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
                  > <jgibson000@c...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Hold on a sec. My historical nose is getting tweaked. If you are
                  > talking
                  > > > about the 1st Jewish War, there was no "Roman Church" and members
                  > of the
                  > > > Desposynoi continued to be "Bishops" (wrong word, really) of the
                  > Jerusalem
                  > > > Assembly for decades. Shymeon led the group out of Jerusalem
                  > during the
                  > > > Roman destruction. He was followed by Judas, Zaccheus, Tobias,
                  > Benjamin,
                  > > > Yohanon, Mattaya, Philip, Seneca, Judas, Levi, Ephraim, Joseph and
                  > Judas at
                  > > > which time the Bar Kochba revolt began 148ish CE.
                  > >
                  > > And all of whom, according to Eusebius, were "Hebrews" and were
                  > circumcised and
                  > > none of whom were installed by "Rome".
                  > >
                  > > So Martin, if you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it.
                  > >

                  > After Simeon led the community out of Jerusalem, there was a
                  > "Catholic" bishop in Jerusalem. As noted above, I just haven't got
                  > time to look it up on a weekday. Perhaps "Roman" is premature, as
                  > Rome had only just begun its bid for power.

                  So is "Catholic" -- at least in the sense of "Roman Catholic". So while you are
                  looking up the name of the post war "bishop" of Jerusalem this weekend, perhaps
                  you'll also look up and provide us with the evidence that grounds your claim
                  that this "bishop" was "Catholic". In the meantime, since it doesn't involve
                  looking up anything, perhaps you'd provide us with what your definition of
                  "catholic" is?

                  > The Desposyni tried to
                  > get their rights restored on several occasions, with little effect.

                  May we have the evidence for this please? As well as the evidence that any of
                  post war "bishops" who, according to Eusebius, held sway over the Jerusalem
                  church up to the Bar Kochba revolt were puppets of Rome?

                  Jeffrey
                  --

                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                  Chicago, IL 60626

                  jgibson000@...
                • Bob Schacht
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 18, 2004
                    At 05:29 PM 5/18/2004 +0000, Martin Edwards wrote:

                    >After Simeon led the community out of Jerusalem, there was a "Catholic"
                    >bishop in Jerusalem.

                    It does not help your case to continue using anachronistic words to
                    describe First Century history. I can't really take your speculations
                    seriously as long as you continue to do that.
                    Bob

                    >As noted above, I just haven't got
                    >time to look it up on a weekday. Perhaps "Roman" is premature, as
                    >Rome had only just begun its bid for power. The Desposyni tried to
                    >get their rights restored on several occasions, with little effect.
                    >
                    >Mart.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
                    Northern Arizona University
                    Flagstaff, AZ

                  • Bill Bullin
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 19, 2004
                      > Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...> wrote:
                      > Does the history of baptism justify the question of those
                      > sent from the Pharisees (John 1:24)?
                      >
                      > It seems to imply that for John to be baptizing requires
                      > that he be one of the three: Messiah, Elijah or the prophet.

                      Matthew replied:
                      > I would encourage you to read an unpublished paper I wrote which argues
                      for the thesis that the Baptist in John's Gospel is a personification of
                      "the Law and the Prophets". John the author is rewriting Pauline theology
                      using allegory as his genre, in my opinion. You may read the paper at the
                      link below, or by going to Joe Gagne's website on Johannine Literature.
                      > http://www.fourthgospel.com/unpub.htm#e

                      Dear Bob and Matthew

                      Without wishing to commit the offence of cross-threading unduly, may I
                      briefly take this opportunity to say, first to Matthew that I have now
                      started to read his thesis. I will do my determined best to read it in its
                      own terms despite my prejudice that 'John' was not a follower of Paul but
                      an equally profound thinker with a priestly symbolic and Jewish mystical
                      background; a Jerusalemite and witness to some aspects of Jesus ministry,
                      including a connection with the Baptist movement, a cousin of Barnabas. I
                      suspect that he may have been a member of the Sopherim mentioned by the
                      later rabbis, not merely a counter of Hebrew words and letters but a
                      christological composer, and that there may be a connection between the
                      Sopherim and the Hebrew root seph as in 'Joseph' and 'Aseph'; a root being
                      radically re-interpreted recently, following MacLaurin's article, in terms
                      of the Akkadian and Sumerian concepts of healing and exorcism. Somehow I
                      think this approach might help sort out the conundrum that 4G seems both
                      late and early, historical reliable yet theologically symbolic, symbolic yet
                      reaching further into the mystical world of Enochian ascents and decents;
                      combining narrative and numerically repetitive discourses that seem (quite
                      paradoxically), geared for the more advanced believer rather than for less
                      advanced catechumens. As I say, I respect the position you take in relation
                      to Pauline dependence as so many scholars do, and however much we disagree
                      on such fundamental issues, I am sure I will learn a great deal from your
                      approach, esp. in relation to Moses and Joseph.

                      Second, may I make a very brief response to Bob? My poor mind has been
                      buzzing away on 'the Holy Seed' which appears to be connected with a myth
                      concerning Cain, Abel, and Seth; Noah's flood, re-birth and Baptism. My
                      response to you then is this: it is important to note that a question posed
                      by those from one of the sects of Judaism may not necessarily reflect the
                      the views held by a Christian writer with origins in another sect, say an
                      Enochian Essene Priest, though I suspect that a continuum of beliefs existed
                      accross the sects accounting for why the Jesus phenomenon drew different
                      imagine a sociological grouping that had access to the kind of theology
                      found in Wisdom 10: 1-4 and Malachi 1:6-7, 3:1-4, 16-18, might they not
                      produce a movement somewhat akin to the movement of John the Baptist, a
                      movement with not insubstantial attestation outwith the New Testament and
                      with attestation from varying documents within it? Indeed, might we not see
                      a connection to the Johannine trinity of the spirit, the water and the
                      blood. Without wishing to drift off to readily into the complex historical,
                      Jewish Greek and doctrinal world of
                      'the soul' and its mortality and immortality, I have always considered that
                      New Testament theology, particularly Johannine theology offers a little more
                      than either Christus Victor or an atoning sacrifice offered to right the
                      balances of the eternal scales of justice held in one anthropomorphic hand
                      of the Father; it seems that we are confronted with the death of the cosmic
                      creator who was in the beginning with God, somehow the death of one creation
                      as a means, a raft, a piece of wood, a doorway into a New Creation. In terms
                      of practical or applied theology, this cosmic salvic dimension related to
                      the sacred nature of the environment, a divine poem we trash at our peril,
                      whether we are either capitalists or communists or merely idealist
                      international mutualists if we fail to recognise a continuity, in some form,
                      between the old and the new. This, anyhow is my 'odd take' on baptism and I
                      delight to be corrected by better (wiser) hearts, and souls and minds and
                      pragmatic designs than mine, within the wise restrictions of the list's
                      protocol.

                      Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex).
                    • mr_atoz@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 24, 2004
                        I don't believe it was "baptisms" themselves that prompted such a
                        question from his peers but rather their sheer volume. The historian
                        Josephus recounts that Herod Antipas was concerned that John's
                        following was such that he feared a scenario in which these people
                        would be completely obedient to John. Likewise these numbers--esp. in
                        those times--almost certainly would have led to questions about
                        John's potential political ambitions as a prophet--or messiah.
                        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Bob MacDonald