literay device

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 3:43 PM
      Martin Edwards wrote:

      > > Problem is -- is that you haven't shown that it **is** a "literary
      > device", let
      > > alone "only" a literary device, or that there would be any good
      > reason for those
      > > whose aim was to discredit the Jerusalem leadership to employ it.
      > >

      > > Jeffrey
      > > --
      > >
      > > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      > >
      > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      > > Chicago, IL 60626
      > >
      > > jgibson000@c...
      >
      > No, I haven't shown it conclusively, but I think I have gone a long
      > way towards establishing motive.

      No you haven't, actually.

      > Those who wish to discredit the
      > Jerusalem leadership, non-Jews, posit a betrayal by a figure symbolic
      > of both "the Jews" and Jesus's family.

      Curiously, the very figure these unidentified non Jews (Mark, Luke? John,
      Matthew? -- early Gospel commentators?) allegedly posit doesn't discredit
      anything, let alone the Jerusalem leadership, and is never identified as a
      member of Jesus family. In fact, he is explicitly distinguished in both the
      Gospels and in post Gospel tradition from Judas, Jesus' brother.

      > If there was such a project it
      > was successful, as the Roman Church began its drive for domination
      > after the revolt and actually installed a Bishop of its own in Jerusalem.

      Really? And just who was this bishop (name please)? And what is your evidence
      that he was a "Roman" puppet?

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...
    • Martin Edwards
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18 10:21 AM
        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
        <jgibson000@c...> wrote:

        > Really? And just who was this bishop (name please)? And what is
        your evidence
        > that he was a "Roman" puppet?

        Now you're being disingenuous. I'm pretty sure you know his name. I
        can't remember, but I'll try to look it up at the weekend.

        Mart.