Re: [John_Lit] John 20:31

  • geomelick@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 6, 2004
      James:

      My hypothesis is based on two suggestions about Mark. The first is that he
      was the BD and the second is that he was the son of Simon Peter. The latter
      suggestion has a long history. In commenting on 1 Peter 5:13 Henry Alford wrote
      that Mark was "perhaps the actual son of St. Peter, bearing this name." For
      this view he cited Oecumenius and Bengel. According to Swete, ho huios mou in
      this verse does not involve spiritual relationship of the kind expressed by
      teknon in Paul's letters. In commenting on this verse William Barclay wrote
      that "Mark might quite well be literally Peter's son." In the Encyclopedia
      Americana F. C. Grant wrote that the reference "would be more natural if the
      relationship was physical as well as spiritual." What surprises me is that no one
      else to my knowledge has tried connecting these two suggestions.

      As a young boy, Mark would have stayed close to his father when away from
      Capernaum and thus would have been present at the meal although not initially at
      the table. According to Richardson, "It would be the duty of the youngest
      member of the group of disciples attached to a rabbi to perform such acts of
      menial service as foot-washing."

      My most recent SBL paper is posted on my website www.beloveddisciple.net, and
      an earlier paper presented at a national SBL meeting is on
      www.fourthgospel.com. Go to unpublished papers and click on "M".

      George Melick, MA
      Drexel University (Retired)