Re: John 20: 23

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2004
      I think Timothy Jenney may have hit on the crux of the matter when he refers
      to Matt 16: 19. If I remember correctly, David Hill in his commentary on
      Matthew (New Century) ad loc, suggests the terms "binding" and "loosing" may
      well have represented technical terms used for declaring or loosing from a
      ban, or declaring authoritatively what was allowed and what was not.. I have
      not
      studied this matter for some time and may be incorrect in detail, but maybe
      the word "kratein" is John's attempt to render a similar Hebrew/Aramaic
      word. It does look here as if we are in the kind of world of the priests
      (pre-AD70) or rabbis (post-AD70) giving official rulings on cases of dispute
      concerning the Toarh.

      JOHN E STATON
      Penistone, Sheffield UK
      www.jestaton.org