[John_Lit] Khristos Anesti

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
      Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

      >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
      childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
      Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
      your rage publicly on various list members, even when
      they wander across the line.<

      "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
      the line. Do you think this is what happened?

      As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
      never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
      articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

      >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
      we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
      bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
      any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
      unproductive.<

      Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
      highly intelligent critic who does add something to
      this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

      >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
      discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
      have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
      "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
      day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
      all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
      might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

      I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
      that this is an academic list and agree that pious
      posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
      joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
      wrong understanding of this listserve.

      Office:

      Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
      Korea University
      136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
      Seoul
      South Korea

      Home:

      Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Seo-Dong 125-2
      Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
      447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
        All:

        When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
        the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
        any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
        Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
        of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

        What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
        lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
        suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
        is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

        An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
        one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

        Joe C.

        Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
        Assistant Professor of Medicine
        University Hospital School of Medicine
        SUNY Stony Brook
        Stony Brook, NY

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
          > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
          realize
          > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
          on
          > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
          > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
          been the end
          > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
          >
          > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
          > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
          > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
          commentary really
          > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
          >
          > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
          this
          > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

          Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
          issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
          literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
          http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

          Jack Kilmon, moderator
          San Marcos, Texas