RE: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti

  • Perry L. Stepp
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 14 8:06 AM
      I'm not the moderator, but ENOUGH!

      Let's cut the snarling, folks. A little less heat might produce more light.

      Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
      Kentucky Christian College

      "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
      --Faulkner
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14 4:22 PM
        Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

        >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
        childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
        Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
        your rage publicly on various list members, even when
        they wander across the line.<

        "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
        the line. Do you think this is what happened?

        As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
        never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
        articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

        >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
        we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
        bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
        any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
        unproductive.<

        Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
        highly intelligent critic who does add something to
        this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

        >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
        discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
        have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
        "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
        day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
        all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
        might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

        I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
        that this is an academic list and agree that pious
        posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
        joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
        wrong understanding of this listserve.

        Office:

        Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
        Korea University
        136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
        Seoul
        South Korea

        Home:

        Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Seo-Dong 125-2
        Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
        447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 15 4:54 AM
          All:

          When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
          the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
          any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
          Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
          of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

          What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
          lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
          suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
          is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

          An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
          one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

          Joe C.

          Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
          Assistant Professor of Medicine
          University Hospital School of Medicine
          SUNY Stony Brook
          Stony Brook, NY

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 15 1:57 PM
            > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
            realize
            > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
            on
            > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
            > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
            been the end
            > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
            >
            > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
            > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
            > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
            commentary really
            > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
            >
            > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
            this
            > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

            Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
            issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
            literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
            http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

            Jack Kilmon, moderator
            San Marcos, Texas