RE: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti

  • Perry L. Stepp
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
      I'm not the moderator, but ENOUGH!

      Let's cut the snarling, folks. A little less heat might produce more light.

      Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
      Kentucky Christian College

      "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
      --Faulkner
    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
        > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
        > ŠEven if so, however,
        > one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

        Amen! [Er, ah, I mean "right on!"] 8-)

        Timothy P. Jenney
        Ph.D. Umich, 1993
        Winter Haven, Fl
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
          Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

          >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
          childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
          Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
          your rage publicly on various list members, even when
          they wander across the line.<

          "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
          the line. Do you think this is what happened?

          As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
          never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
          articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

          >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
          we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
          bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
          any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
          unproductive.<

          Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
          highly intelligent critic who does add something to
          this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

          >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
          discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
          have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
          "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
          day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
          all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
          might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

          I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
          that this is an academic list and agree that pious
          posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
          joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
          wrong understanding of this listserve.

          Office:

          Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
          Korea University
          136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
          Seoul
          South Korea

          Home:

          Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
          Seo-Dong 125-2
          Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
          447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
            All:

            When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
            the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
            any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
            Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
            of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

            What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
            lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
            suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
            is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

            An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
            one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

            Joe C.

            Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
            Assistant Professor of Medicine
            University Hospital School of Medicine
            SUNY Stony Brook
            Stony Brook, NY

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
              > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
              realize
              > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
              on
              > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
              > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
              been the end
              > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
              >
              > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
              > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
              > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
              commentary really
              > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
              >
              > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
              this
              > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

              Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
              issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
              literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
              http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

              Jack Kilmon, moderator
              San Marcos, Texas