[John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
      Mike,

      I am truly sorry that you have allowed your childhood experience as a
      Catholic to so embitter you. Nevertheless, it does not give you the right
      to vent your rage publicly on various list members, even when they wander
      across the line.

      The essence of academic research is objectivity, as we have already agreed.
      Your virulent anti-Christian bias is no more scholarly nor academic than
      that of any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as unproductive.

      I sought to nudge you back toward an academic discussion with a bit of
      humor. Instead, I seem to have escalated the conflict into name-calling
      (e.g. "virtual childhood"?!?).

      Perhaps I caught you on a bad day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area
      makes all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling might help.

      Whatever the case, can we now move on?

      Timothy P. Jenney
      Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
      Winter Haven, FL

      > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
      > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:42:33 -0000
      > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti
      >
      > --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
      >> Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
      >> daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
      >> to "lighten up."
      >
      > And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
      > should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
      > light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
      > last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
      > falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
      > virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
      > just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
      > ay? (:-)
      >
      > Mike Grondin
      > Mt. Clemens, MI
      >
      > p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
      > to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
      > to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Grondin
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
        Timothy-

        Wow, talk about "virulent"! Nothing in my notes begins to compare
        with the personal attack you saw fit to post. Evidently, it was my
        non-Christian counter to Meehan's Easter wish that invoked your ad
        hominem attack. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that when the
        shoe's on the other foot, it pinches a bit? Even if so, however,
        one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI
      • Perry L. Stepp
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
          I'm not the moderator, but ENOUGH!

          Let's cut the snarling, folks. A little less heat might produce more light.

          Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

          Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
          Kentucky Christian College

          "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
          --Faulkner
        • Timothy P. Jenney
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
            > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
            > ŠEven if so, however,
            > one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

            Amen! [Er, ah, I mean "right on!"] 8-)

            Timothy P. Jenney
            Ph.D. Umich, 1993
            Winter Haven, Fl
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
              Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

              >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
              childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
              Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
              your rage publicly on various list members, even when
              they wander across the line.<

              "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
              the line. Do you think this is what happened?

              As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
              never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
              articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

              >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
              we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
              bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
              any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
              unproductive.<

              Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
              highly intelligent critic who does add something to
              this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

              >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
              discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
              have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
              "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
              day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
              all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
              might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

              I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
              that this is an academic list and agree that pious
              posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
              joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
              wrong understanding of this listserve.

              Office:

              Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
              Korea University
              136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
              Seoul
              South Korea

              Home:

              Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Seo-Dong 125-2
              Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
              447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                All:

                When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
                the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
                any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
                of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

                What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
                is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

                An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
                one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                Joe C.

                Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
                Assistant Professor of Medicine
                University Hospital School of Medicine
                SUNY Stony Brook
                Stony Brook, NY

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                  > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
                  realize
                  > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
                  on
                  > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                  > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
                  been the end
                  > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
                  >
                  > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                  > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                  > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
                  commentary really
                  > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
                  >
                  > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
                  this
                  > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                  Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
                  issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
                  literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
                  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

                  Jack Kilmon, moderator
                  San Marcos, Texas