Re: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti

  • Ramsey Michaels
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2004
      From your comments, Mike, I figured you must be the moderator ;-)

      More seriously, the "scholarly purpose" in citing Jn 16:22b is that even
      though John does not express the explicit confessional theology of "Christos
      Anesti" it does convey the message of Easter in other language, putting it
      on the lips of Jesus himself: "I will see you again, and your heart shall
      rejoice, and no one takes your joy from you" (see also Jn 20:20).

      Ramsey Michaels

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2004
        Mike:

        Your use of the term "virtual childhood" brought to mind this quote from
        Fenton John Anthony Hort (who did most of the work on the Westcott & Hort
        New Testament). As I get older, this quote has meant more and more to me:

        F.J.A. Hort, in a letter to his children on the occasion of his father's
        death in 1873:

        "Many children look forward hopefully to the time when they will be their
        own masters, without anyone over them. Well, let me tell you this. I have
        been a grown man for many years, for more than half my life; yet to me now
        one of the bitterest pangs is the feeling that I have no longer any one
        above me in my own family to look up to, and that I am now its oldest and
        highest member. I can hardly expect you now to understand quite what I mean,
        but if you keep this letter, and sometimes look at it in after years,
        perhaps you will understand better.

        Then you will know that one great blessing of our being children of the
        Heavenly Father is that it keeps us in childhood all our life long" (Life
        and Letters of Fenton John Anthony Hort, II, 199).

        If we need to test this quote for relevance to our John-list, I would bend
        the rules a little, and make my appeal to 1 John and the terminology its
        author uses in addressing his readers. In short, maybe your expression
        "virtual childhood" is not so far off the mark after all.

        Ramsey Michaels

        > > Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
        > > daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
        > > to "lighten up."
        >
        > And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
        > should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
        > light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
        > last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
        > falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
        > virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
        > just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
        > ay? (:-)
        >
        > Mike Grondin
        > Mt. Clemens, MI
        >
        > p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
        > to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
        > to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG

        > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Staley, Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2004
          Mike:

          Your use of the term "virtual childhood" brought to mind this quote from
          Fenton John Anthony Hort (who did most of the work on the Westcott &
          Hort New Testament). As I get older, this quote has meant more and more
          to me:

          Thanks, Ramsey for the wonderful quote! My 15 year-old daughter calls me
          "daddy" and my 18 year-old son calls me "big boy," and I love both
          terms!

          Jeff Staley
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2004
            I have not kept up with this thread and only today saw some posts that
            indicate list rules may have been violated...I approved this post (although
            "amen" posts are also not welcome) just to give me a substrate to warn
            against personal attacks and "testy" responses. This is a scholarship
            oriented arena. Be nice or be moderated.

            Jack Kilmon
            Moderator