Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 14 5:42 AM
      --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
      > Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
      > daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
      > to "lighten up."

      And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
      should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
      light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
      last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
      falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
      virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
      just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
      ay? (:-)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI

      p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
      to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
      to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG
    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14 6:24 AM
        Mike,

        I am truly sorry that you have allowed your childhood experience as a
        Catholic to so embitter you. Nevertheless, it does not give you the right
        to vent your rage publicly on various list members, even when they wander
        across the line.

        The essence of academic research is objectivity, as we have already agreed.
        Your virulent anti-Christian bias is no more scholarly nor academic than
        that of any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as unproductive.

        I sought to nudge you back toward an academic discussion with a bit of
        humor. Instead, I seem to have escalated the conflict into name-calling
        (e.g. "virtual childhood"?!?).

        Perhaps I caught you on a bad day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area
        makes all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling might help.

        Whatever the case, can we now move on?

        Timothy P. Jenney
        Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
        Winter Haven, FL

        > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
        > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:42:33 -0000
        > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti
        >
        > --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
        >> Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
        >> daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
        >> to "lighten up."
        >
        > And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
        > should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
        > light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
        > last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
        > falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
        > virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
        > just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
        > ay? (:-)
        >
        > Mike Grondin
        > Mt. Clemens, MI
        >
        > p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
        > to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
        > to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Grondin
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14 7:31 AM
          Timothy-

          Wow, talk about "virulent"! Nothing in my notes begins to compare
          with the personal attack you saw fit to post. Evidently, it was my
          non-Christian counter to Meehan's Easter wish that invoked your ad
          hominem attack. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that when the
          shoe's on the other foot, it pinches a bit? Even if so, however,
          one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

          Mike Grondin
          Mt. Clemens, MI
        • Perry L. Stepp
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14 8:06 AM
            I'm not the moderator, but ENOUGH!

            Let's cut the snarling, folks. A little less heat might produce more light.

            Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

            Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
            Kentucky Christian College

            "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
            --Faulkner
          • Timothy P. Jenney
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 14 10:57 AM
              > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
              > ŠEven if so, however,
              > one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

              Amen! [Er, ah, I mean "right on!"] 8-)

              Timothy P. Jenney
              Ph.D. Umich, 1993
              Winter Haven, Fl
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 14 4:22 PM
                Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

                >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
                childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
                Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
                your rage publicly on various list members, even when
                they wander across the line.<

                "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
                the line. Do you think this is what happened?

                As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
                never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
                articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

                >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
                we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
                bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
                any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
                unproductive.<

                Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
                highly intelligent critic who does add something to
                this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

                >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
                discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
                have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
                "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
                day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
                all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
                might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

                I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
                that this is an academic list and agree that pious
                posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
                joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
                wrong understanding of this listserve.

                Office:

                Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
                Korea University
                136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                Seoul
                South Korea

                Home:

                Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
                Seo-Dong 125-2
                Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
                447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
              • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 15 4:54 AM
                  All:

                  When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
                  the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
                  any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                  Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
                  of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

                  What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                  lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                  suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
                  is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

                  An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
                  one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                  Joe C.

                  Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
                  Assistant Professor of Medicine
                  University Hospital School of Medicine
                  SUNY Stony Brook
                  Stony Brook, NY

                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 15 1:57 PM
                    > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
                    realize
                    > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
                    on
                    > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                    > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
                    been the end
                    > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
                    >
                    > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                    > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                    > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
                    commentary really
                    > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
                    >
                    > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
                    this
                    > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                    Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
                    issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
                    literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
                    http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

                    Jack Kilmon, moderator
                    San Marcos, Texas