Re: [John_Lit] Khristos Anesti

  • Martin Edwards
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Grondin"
      <mwgrondin@c...> wrote:
      > Do listers need to be reminded that this is not a religious list?
      >
      > Mike G.

      Sorry, Mike, I was only fuguing. I'm an agnostic myself.

      Mart.
    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
        Ah, Mike, Mike, Mike,

        Then let me at least express hope that you had a pleasant vernal equinox.

        [Unless, of course, you are a worshipper of the sun, which would make this a
        religious expression. In that case, let me assert I mean this only in the
        astronomical and resultant climatologically beneficent sense, not in any
        spiritual, religious, sacred or pious way.]

        [Also, by "hope" I do not mean to imply I have expressed this wish to any
        deity, real or imagined, nor any angel, djin, sprite, leprechaun, spirit or
        oversoul, either by prayer, petition, sacrifice or just plain whining and
        begging.]

        While I myself dwell in the land of Florida where we enjoy year round
        sunshine [which some would assert demonstrates the blessing of the god(s)],
        I know that others on the list inhabit places where the sun rarely shines
        during the winter [which does not mean these folk are necessarily
        unenlightened, only that they dwell in darkness]. Thus, each year, they
        experience a bit of Ragnarok, that Norse theological expression of seasonal
        affective disorder sometimes known as "cabin fever."

        Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of daylight will
        enable you [and some others on the list] just to "lighten up."

        Peace,

        Timothy P. Jenney
        Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
        Winter Haven, FL

        > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
        > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:50:08 -0000
        > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [John_Lit] Khristos Anesti
        >
        >> And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter
        >> is??????????
        >
        > Perhaps you remember yourself writing:
        >
        > "May the joy of the Risen Christ be yours today and always!"
        >
        > If you call this (and your irrelevant "poetry") simply "wishing ...
        > a Happy Easter", one shudders to think how inaccurate your analysis
        > of Johannine writings will turn out to be - assuming, of course,
        > that you have any interest in that at all.
        >
        > Mike Grondin
        > Mt. Clemens, MI

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ramsey Michaels
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
          I thought he was just paraphrasing John 16:22b. Aren't we allowed to
          paraphrase John?

          Ramsey Michaels

          > > And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter
          > > is??????????
          >
          > Perhaps you remember yourself writing:
          >
          > "May the joy of the Risen Christ be yours today and always!"
          >
          > If you call this (and your irrelevant "poetry") simply "wishing ...
          > a Happy Easter", one shudders to think how inaccurate your analysis
          > of Johannine writings will turn out to be - assuming, of course,
          > that you have any interest in that at all.
          >
          > Mike Grondin
          > Mt. Clemens, MI

          > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Grondin
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
            --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
            > Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
            > daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
            > to "lighten up."

            And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
            should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
            light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
            last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
            falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
            virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
            just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
            ay? (:-)

            Mike Grondin
            Mt. Clemens, MI

            p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
            to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
            to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG
          • Timothy P. Jenney
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
              Mike,

              I am truly sorry that you have allowed your childhood experience as a
              Catholic to so embitter you. Nevertheless, it does not give you the right
              to vent your rage publicly on various list members, even when they wander
              across the line.

              The essence of academic research is objectivity, as we have already agreed.
              Your virulent anti-Christian bias is no more scholarly nor academic than
              that of any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as unproductive.

              I sought to nudge you back toward an academic discussion with a bit of
              humor. Instead, I seem to have escalated the conflict into name-calling
              (e.g. "virtual childhood"?!?).

              Perhaps I caught you on a bad day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area
              makes all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling might help.

              Whatever the case, can we now move on?

              Timothy P. Jenney
              Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
              Winter Haven, FL

              > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
              > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:42:33 -0000
              > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti
              >
              > --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
              >> Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
              >> daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
              >> to "lighten up."
              >
              > And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
              > should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
              > light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
              > last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
              > falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
              > virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
              > just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
              > ay? (:-)
              >
              > Mike Grondin
              > Mt. Clemens, MI
              >
              > p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
              > to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
              > to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Grondin
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                Timothy-

                Wow, talk about "virulent"! Nothing in my notes begins to compare
                with the personal attack you saw fit to post. Evidently, it was my
                non-Christian counter to Meehan's Easter wish that invoked your ad
                hominem attack. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that when the
                shoe's on the other foot, it pinches a bit? Even if so, however,
                one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

                Mike Grondin
                Mt. Clemens, MI
              • Perry L. Stepp
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                  I'm not the moderator, but ENOUGH!

                  Let's cut the snarling, folks. A little less heat might produce more light.

                  Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

                  Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
                  Kentucky Christian College

                  "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
                  --Faulkner
                • Timothy P. Jenney
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                    > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
                    > ŠEven if so, however,
                    > one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

                    Amen! [Er, ah, I mean "right on!"] 8-)

                    Timothy P. Jenney
                    Ph.D. Umich, 1993
                    Winter Haven, Fl
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                      Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

                      >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
                      childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
                      Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
                      your rage publicly on various list members, even when
                      they wander across the line.<

                      "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
                      the line. Do you think this is what happened?

                      As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
                      never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
                      articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

                      >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
                      we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
                      bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
                      any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
                      unproductive.<

                      Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
                      highly intelligent critic who does add something to
                      this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

                      >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
                      discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
                      have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
                      "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
                      day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
                      all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
                      might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

                      I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
                      that this is an academic list and agree that pious
                      posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
                      joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
                      wrong understanding of this listserve.

                      Office:

                      Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
                      Korea University
                      136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                      Seoul
                      South Korea

                      Home:

                      Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
                      Seo-Dong 125-2
                      Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
                      447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                    • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                        All:

                        When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
                        the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
                        any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                        Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
                        of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

                        What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                        lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                        suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
                        is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

                        An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
                        one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                        Joe C.

                        Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
                        Assistant Professor of Medicine
                        University Hospital School of Medicine
                        SUNY Stony Brook
                        Stony Brook, NY

                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                          > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
                          realize
                          > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
                          on
                          > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                          > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
                          been the end
                          > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
                          >
                          > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                          > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                          > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
                          commentary really
                          > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
                          >
                          > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
                          this
                          > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                          Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
                          issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
                          literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
                          http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

                          Jack Kilmon, moderator
                          San Marcos, Texas