Re: [John_Lit] Khristos Anesti

  • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 12, 2004
      Indeed He is Risen!

      Joe C.

    • Mike Grondin
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
        Do listers need to be reminded that this is not a religious list?

        Mike G.
      • Martin Edwards
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
          --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Grondin"
          <mwgrondin@c...> wrote:
          > Do listers need to be reminded that this is not a religious list?
          >
          > Mike G.

          Sorry, Mike, I was only fuguing. I'm an agnostic myself.

          Mart.
        • Perry L. Stepp
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
            Mike G. wrote:

            Do listers need to be reminded that this is not a religious list?

            -------

            Seeing as the last post (at least that I've received from the list) on this
            particular topic went through the system at 7.15 yesterday morning, I'd say
            "No, they do not."

            Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

            Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
            Kentucky Christian College

            "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
            --Faulkner

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
              In a message dated 13-Apr-04 12:26:26 Central Daylight Time,
              mwgrondin@... writes:
              Do listers need to be reminded that this is not a religious list?

              And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter is??????????

              Peace -- Heiwa

            • Mike Grondin
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 13, 2004
                > And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter
                > is??????????

                Perhaps you remember yourself writing:

                "May the joy of the Risen Christ be yours today and always!"

                If you call this (and your irrelevant "poetry") simply "wishing ...
                a Happy Easter", one shudders to think how inaccurate your analysis
                of Johannine writings will turn out to be - assuming, of course,
                that you have any interest in that at all.

                Mike Grondin
                Mt. Clemens, MI
              • Timothy P. Jenney
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                  Ah, Mike, Mike, Mike,

                  Then let me at least express hope that you had a pleasant vernal equinox.

                  [Unless, of course, you are a worshipper of the sun, which would make this a
                  religious expression. In that case, let me assert I mean this only in the
                  astronomical and resultant climatologically beneficent sense, not in any
                  spiritual, religious, sacred or pious way.]

                  [Also, by "hope" I do not mean to imply I have expressed this wish to any
                  deity, real or imagined, nor any angel, djin, sprite, leprechaun, spirit or
                  oversoul, either by prayer, petition, sacrifice or just plain whining and
                  begging.]

                  While I myself dwell in the land of Florida where we enjoy year round
                  sunshine [which some would assert demonstrates the blessing of the god(s)],
                  I know that others on the list inhabit places where the sun rarely shines
                  during the winter [which does not mean these folk are necessarily
                  unenlightened, only that they dwell in darkness]. Thus, each year, they
                  experience a bit of Ragnarok, that Norse theological expression of seasonal
                  affective disorder sometimes known as "cabin fever."

                  Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of daylight will
                  enable you [and some others on the list] just to "lighten up."

                  Peace,

                  Timothy P. Jenney
                  Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
                  Winter Haven, FL

                  > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
                  > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:50:08 -0000
                  > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [John_Lit] Khristos Anesti
                  >
                  >> And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter
                  >> is??????????
                  >
                  > Perhaps you remember yourself writing:
                  >
                  > "May the joy of the Risen Christ be yours today and always!"
                  >
                  > If you call this (and your irrelevant "poetry") simply "wishing ...
                  > a Happy Easter", one shudders to think how inaccurate your analysis
                  > of Johannine writings will turn out to be - assuming, of course,
                  > that you have any interest in that at all.
                  >
                  > Mike Grondin
                  > Mt. Clemens, MI

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ramsey Michaels
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                    I thought he was just paraphrasing John 16:22b. Aren't we allowed to
                    paraphrase John?

                    Ramsey Michaels

                    > > And your problem with wishing the rest of the list a Happy Easter
                    > > is??????????
                    >
                    > Perhaps you remember yourself writing:
                    >
                    > "May the joy of the Risen Christ be yours today and always!"
                    >
                    > If you call this (and your irrelevant "poetry") simply "wishing ...
                    > a Happy Easter", one shudders to think how inaccurate your analysis
                    > of Johannine writings will turn out to be - assuming, of course,
                    > that you have any interest in that at all.
                    >
                    > Mike Grondin
                    > Mt. Clemens, MI

                    > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mike Grondin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                      --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
                      > Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
                      > daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
                      > to "lighten up."

                      And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
                      should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
                      light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
                      last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
                      falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
                      virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
                      just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
                      ay? (:-)

                      Mike Grondin
                      Mt. Clemens, MI

                      p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
                      to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
                      to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG
                    • Timothy P. Jenney
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                        Mike,

                        I am truly sorry that you have allowed your childhood experience as a
                        Catholic to so embitter you. Nevertheless, it does not give you the right
                        to vent your rage publicly on various list members, even when they wander
                        across the line.

                        The essence of academic research is objectivity, as we have already agreed.
                        Your virulent anti-Christian bias is no more scholarly nor academic than
                        that of any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as unproductive.

                        I sought to nudge you back toward an academic discussion with a bit of
                        humor. Instead, I seem to have escalated the conflict into name-calling
                        (e.g. "virtual childhood"?!?).

                        Perhaps I caught you on a bad day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area
                        makes all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling might help.

                        Whatever the case, can we now move on?

                        Timothy P. Jenney
                        Ph.D. (UMich, 1993)
                        Winter Haven, FL

                        > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
                        > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:42:33 -0000
                        > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [John_Lit] Re: Khristos Anesti> Helios Anesti
                        >
                        > --- Timothy P. Jenney wrote:
                        >> Thus, with Spring upon us, I hope the increasing amount of
                        >> daylight will enable you [and some others on the list] just
                        >> to "lighten up."
                        >
                        > And allow this to be made into a Christian chat-room? Or perhaps I
                        > should express my own hopes that one day humankind will let the
                        > light of reason enter fully into their hearts so that they can at
                        > last free themselves of those ancient myths, fantasies, and outright
                        > falsehoods about "God" and "his chosen ones" that keep them bound in
                        > virtual childhood. Then, when the moderators come down on me, I'll
                        > just tell them to forget the purposes of the list and "lighten up",
                        > ay? (:-)
                        >
                        > Mike Grondin
                        > Mt. Clemens, MI
                        >
                        > p.s. to Ramsey Michaels: The "he" is a "she" (Roberta Meehan), and
                        > to "paraphrase John" in that way - with no scholarly purpose - is
                        > to propagandize in the same way that John did. -MWG

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Mike Grondin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                          Timothy-

                          Wow, talk about "virulent"! Nothing in my notes begins to compare
                          with the personal attack you saw fit to post. Evidently, it was my
                          non-Christian counter to Meehan's Easter wish that invoked your ad
                          hominem attack. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that when the
                          shoe's on the other foot, it pinches a bit? Even if so, however,
                          one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

                          Mike Grondin
                          Mt. Clemens, MI
                        • Perry L. Stepp

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                              > From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
                              > ŠEven if so, however,
                              > one should still adhere to the list rule against personal attacks.

                              Amen! [Er, ah, I mean "right on!"] 8-)

                              Timothy P. Jenney
                              Ph.D. Umich, 1993
                              Winter Haven, Fl
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 14, 2004
                                Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

                                >Mike, I am truly sorry that you have allowed your
                                childhood experience as a Catholic to so embitter you.
                                Nevertheless, it does not give you the right to vent
                                your rage publicly on various list members, even when
                                they wander across the line.<

                                "Wander" suggests an inadvertent, careless crossing of
                                the line. Do you think this is what happened?

                                As for "rage," I didn't see Mike expressing rage. I've
                                never seen that in Mike. Strong annoyance and an
                                articulate expression of disagreement, yes. But rage?

                                >The essence of academic research is objectivity, as
                                we have already agreed. Your virulent anti-Christian
                                bias is no more scholarly nor academic than that of
                                any rabid fundamentalist Christian--and it is just as
                                unproductive.<

                                Mike is anti-religious (it seems to me) but also a
                                highly intelligent critic who does add something to
                                this list, so I don't see that he's unproductive.

                                >I sought to nudge you back toward an academic
                                discussion with a bit of humor. Instead, I seem to
                                have escalated the conflict into name-calling (e.g.
                                "virtual childhood"?!?). Perhaps I caught you on a bad
                                day. Or perhaps your sensitivity in this area makes
                                all your days bad. In the latter case, counseling
                                might help. Whatever the case, can we now move on?<

                                I think that the best way to move on is to confirm
                                that this is an academic list and agree that pious
                                posts should not appear here. I've had this view since
                                joining several years ago, but perhaps I hold the
                                wrong understanding of this listserve.

                                Office:

                                Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
                                Korea University
                                136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                                Seoul
                                South Korea

                                Home:

                                Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
                                Seo-Dong 125-2
                                Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
                                447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                              • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                                  All:

                                  When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even realize
                                  the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared on
                                  any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                                  Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have been the end
                                  of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.

                                  What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                                  lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                                  suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all commentary really
                                  is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.

                                  An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as this
                                  one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                                  Joe C.

                                  Joseph Calandrino, FAAFP
                                  Assistant Professor of Medicine
                                  University Hospital School of Medicine
                                  SUNY Stony Brook
                                  Stony Brook, NY

                                • Jack Kilmon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 15, 2004
                                    > When I first responded to the "khristos anesti" cue, I did not even
                                    realize
                                    > the post appeared on the John Lit list, thinking instead that it appeared
                                    on
                                    > any number of lists I read. I simply responded with the traditional Greek
                                    > Orthodox rejoinder, "indeed he is risen," and I thought that would have
                                    been the end
                                    > of it, regardless of the forum in which the thread appeared.
                                    >
                                    > What has followed is the typical disclaimer about scholarly and academic
                                    > lists, which appeals to various types of objectivity. I suggest we all be
                                    > suspicious of "objectivity," and realize just how 'interested' all
                                    commentary really
                                    > is. That approach would indeed be scholarly.
                                    >
                                    > An Easter greeting seems to be a most forgivable sin on a forum such as
                                    this
                                    > one, regardless of its self-understanding as essentially non-religious.

                                    Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, please drop this
                                    issue and return to the discussions on the literary aspects of Johannine
                                    literature. The rules and protocols can be accessed at:
                                    http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Johannine_List.htm

                                    Jack Kilmon, moderator
                                    San Marcos, Texas