Acts 7 speech and 4G convergences?

  • David Trapero
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 11, 2004
      Is anyone on list aware of convergences between Stephen's speech in
      Acts 7 and 4G? These could be structural, thematic, verbal, whatever.
      If anyone is aware of such convergences, could you be so kind as to
      recommend some authors who have dealt with these?

      Thank you,

      David

      David Trapero M.Div.
      818 2nd St. PL NE #95
      Hickory, NC 28601
      Dtrap303@...
    • Joe Gagne
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 11, 2004
        Yes, David. I will be presenting a paper on this topic at the
        International conference in the Netherlands this July. If you would like,
        I am looking for some readers beforehand, and I could send you a copy to
        read and get back to me.

        --
        Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.
        University of South Carolina Sumter
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 11, 2004
          David Trapero wrote:

          By all means. I'd be delighted to read a copy.

          In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Joe Gagne <joegagne@j.
          ..> wrote:
          > Yes, David. I will be presenting a paper on this topic at the
          > International conference in the Netherlands this July. If you would
          like,
          > I am looking for some readers beforehand, and I could send you a
          copy to
          > read and get back to me.
          >
          > David Trapero wrote:
          >
          > >Is anyone on list aware of convergences between Stephen's speech in
          > >Acts 7 and 4G? These could be structural, thematic, verbal, whatever.
          > > If anyone is aware of such convergences, could you be so kind as to
          > >recommend some authors who have dealt with these?
          > >
          > >Thank you,
          > >
          > >David
          > >
          > >David Trapero M.Div.
          > >818 2nd St. PL NE #95
          > >Hickory, NC 28601
          > >Dtrap303@a...
          > >

          > >SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > >PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > >MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.
          > University of South Carolina Sumter
          > jogagne@u...
          > joegagne@j...
          > http://www.joegagne.com
          > http://www.fourthgospel.com
        • Bill Bullin
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 14, 2004
            Acts 7 speech and 4G convergences?

            > Is anyone on list aware of convergences between Stephen's speech in
            > Acts 7 and 4G? These could be structural, thematic, verbal, whatever.
            > If anyone is aware of such convergences, could you be so kind as to
            > recommend some authors who have dealt with these?
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > David

            If I am correct in my hypothesis that 4G is best understood as a 'Wisdom
            Gospel' then Acts 6:3 taken with Acts 7:9 may be of significance, perhaps
            related to the Spirit or else the 'Spirit of Wisdom' (cf.. Wisdom 10:13-14.
            If there is Josephian typology in all four Gospels (Bread and Wine // Baker
            and Butler, perhaps with Joseph and Jesus as suffering servant types), then
            there may be a link between Acts 7:14-16 and John 20:15. There is also the
            shared theme of 'glory' (cf. Acts 7:2), Moses; antipathy towards the
            Jerusalem Temple; emphasis on 'tabernacle' (Johannine Prologue // Acts
            7:49-50 etc.); merkavah mysticism (Acts 7:56 and John 1:51; 12:28, 41). I
            would argue that there is also a link with 1 Corinthians and that the common
            source is the Palestinian Greek Christians who provided much of the source
            material adopted and adapated by Luke. This would account for the gematria
            underlying Peter's Speech in Acts 2:14b-36 with a count of 888, two halves
            of 444, Iesous Christos (Iesous 27 x 37 + Christos 40 x 37), the split
            occuring between "..you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside
            the law /// but God raised him up." Incidentally I suppose 4G and Acts 7
            share the common charge of being anti-semitic, (from which I believe they
            should both be aquitted).

            I am afraid I know of no competent numerical analysis of Stephen's Speech
            and have yet to have a go at it myself. On the Fourth Gospel, A. Q. Morton
            and J. McLeman, The Genesis of John, St Andrew's Press,(1980), make a superb
            job of arguing that the original (autograph) text of John was in codex form.
            I note with interest that they also mention that there would have been 28
            lines to a page (28 is a perfect number, that is the sum of its divisors,
            1+2+4+7+14,
            but also the seventh triangular number, cf. R. Bauckham, Climax of Prophecy,
            384 ff on the significance of triangle numbers of which Genesis 1:1 is the
            major example), 28 being the number of times Lamb is referred to in the
            Apocalypse cf R. Bauckham, Theology of Revelation, CUP, 66; they also argue
            that the number of letters per line would have been 21, combining the
            numbers 3 and 7 (perhaps relating to the genmatria of chokmah 37 but also 73
            and Logos 373). Morton and McLeman's findings appear to be little known
            outside Scotland, but I find them well argued and particularly interesting
            to me because they do not mention analysis by gematria at all, but are
            rather concerned with Johannine source analysis along the lines of Robert
            Fortna. They build on the work of Prof. G.H.C. Macgregor and the data
            analysis tools of Prof. Sidney Micholson. I think it is a great pity their
            book is not better known in Europe, S.E. Asia, and other centres of
            Johannine study.

            I trust these comments will be af assistance to you.

            Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex).
          • David Trapero
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 14, 2004

              > > David
              > >
              > If I am correct in my hypothesis that 4G is best understood as
              a 'Wisdom
              > Gospel'

              Could you say a little about what you mean by 'Wisdom Gospel'? Is
              John a Wisdom Gospel in a way that the synoptics are not? And if so,
              why? What makes his so wise? Also, what relationship, if any, does
              4G have to the the words and deeds of (I hesitate to say 'the
              historical') Jesus? What process might 4G's tradition have gone
              through in becoming wise?

              On the Fourth Gospel, A. Q. Morton
              > and J. McLeman, The Genesis of John, St Andrew's Press,(1980), make
              a superb
              > job of arguing that the original (autograph) text of John was in
              codex form.

              I've just spent several hours trying to locate this work by Morton
              and McLeman but to no avail! I confess to being a search engine
              neophite but I think I tried everything. The first St. Andrews Press
              was a Printers shop in England that had nothing to do with publishing
              books so then I went to St. Andrews University in Scotland (where I
              assumed it was published)... anyway it's confirmed I'm missing the
              internet search engine gene along with the mechanic gene. Any
              practical assistance you could provide would be most appreciated. I
              did find something by Morton and McLeman on Philippians (as a
              consolation, it was quite well done)!

              Thank you for all these interesting leads. Bauckham is a giant. I
              most order his Climax of Prophecy post haste!

              Kindly,

              David

              David Trapero M.Div.
              818 2nd St. PL NE #95
              Hickory, NC 28601
              Dtrap303@...
            • Joe Gagne
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 18, 2004
                You have an A and will be exempted so long as you do not miss any
                classes this semester.