[John_Lit] Re: the Beloved Disciple

  • Peter Hofrichter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2000

      Salzburg/Austria
      I did not yet read the above mentioned article but it seems to be similar
      to my own opinion. I am convinced that a correction of the scene under the
      cross was the starting point of the figure of the beloved disciple.
      Originally under the cross there stood only the woman disciple Mary (of
      Magdala). When Jesus saw her whom he loved he said to her "Woman, behold
      your son" pointing to himself in this misearable situation. But this
      metaphoric address was disturbing the readers. Therefore one tried to
      replace her by his real mother or to add the real mother whose name was
      unknown and to make Mary her sister. Also the remark "her whom he loved"
      may have made troubles. A possibility to dissimilate here something
      seemingly impropriate was to make her a male disciple and to make Jesus to
      address this beloved disciple together with his mother. This explanation
      may seem very strange at the first moment. But Mary of Magdala was
      according to "John" also the only one to visit tomb of Jesus. In gnostic
      literature she playes a predominant role as woman disciple sometimes in
      concurrence to Peter. Ma be, also in Cana originally not the mother of
      Jesus but his disciple Mary of Magdala was the central person who enabled
      Jesus by her faith to reveal his glory. Therefore he may have called
      himself under the cross metaphorically her "son". The significance of Mary
      of Magdala at the end of the Gospel (cross and resurrection) must have been
      prepared and introduced by a similar weight at its beginning. - As soon as
      the artificial figure of the beloved disciple was createrd here it made its
      way also in other parts of the Gospel. But I do not think that he replaced
      anywhere else Mary of Magdala, definitely not at the last supper in Jn 13.