Re: [John_Lit] Violence at the Heart of Recent Messages

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2004
      In a message dated 3/12/2004 9:19:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      profram@... writes:

      > I'm no fan of Pat Robertson, but you managed to offend some very decent
      > people with that one. Protestants, evangelicals and southerners, all in one
      > sentence.

      I don't think Protestants, evangelicals or southerners should have been
      offended in the least by my comment. Any more than "Christians" generally should
      have been. I was speaking of a particular constituency -- which I described not
      as bad (or indecent) but as clueless -- who think Robertson is the greatest
      thing this side of God. I certainly did not intend to broadbrush all
      evangelicals, even with this limited critique, and (I admit) probably defined Robertson's
      audience too narrowly by using the term "southern". I also didn't mean
      especially to single out Robertson for this criticism. On the other hand, it was not
      him but his constituency that I defined as clueless; it is perfectly possible
      that such an exculpatory adjective would not be properly applied to him, but
      it is not my role to make that judgment.

      Leonard Maluf