RE: [John_Lit] Re: Mel Gibson's "Passion" and gore

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
      On 3 Mar 2004 at 13:41, Staley, Jeffrey wrote:

      > The bad news, unfortunately, is very bad: the violence is not only
      > excessive, IMO, it's pornographic.

      Sorry to be coming at this a little late -- I am only now getting a
      chance to look over recent list postings. I have seen the charge
      that The Passion of the Christ is pornographic frequently, from both
      film critics and scholars like yourself. This may well be due to my
      ignorance but I have not before seen this association of the word
      "pornography" with (non-sexual) violence. I am curious about what
      kind of definition of pornography is being assumed here, because it
      is not one that I am familiar with.

      Thanks
      Mark
      Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
      Dept of Theology
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com