RE: Re: Violence at the Heart of Christianity

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2004
      At the risk of straying even further into non-topicality, I must say I have
      been interested in this thread. The Christmas before last I read the htird
      volume of Simon Schama's History of Britain, which dealt with the period of
      the rise of the British Empire - including the period of the American
      Revolution.
      Maybe US listmembers are not aware, but the very attitudes they have
      described as emanating from their own country are almost identical to the
      positions taken by British politicians and opinion-formers in the 18th and
      19th centuries. At this period, the British regarded themselves as the
      chosen nation (which probably gave rise to ideas such as British
      Israelitism), chosen by God to bring civilisation as well as the gospel to a
      darkened world. They too were guilty of just the same ambiguities as have
      been pointed out in earlier correspondence on this list, but they too
      believed in the Jesus who went willingly to his death.
      People like Washington and Jefferson opposed this ideology, but now
      it appears their descendants have adpoted it for themselves. Do we ever
      learn?

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
      Penistone, Sheffield UK
      www.jestaton.org
      jestaton@...
      PS My only query on this matter, is why is this relevant to a discussion on
      Mel Gibson's film. I thought he was Australian? JES