Re: [John_Lit] Jesus and the Horse

  • Bill Bullin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2004
      Bill Bullin replies to Jeffrey Gibson:

      Dear Jeffrey

      I really appreciate you bringing this web site to my attention.

      > Have a look here for a discussion of the background of this and other
      "fakes".

      I am going to have to give both it and Wieland's site some serious thought.
      My initial response is that Wieland's site touches on the kind of genuine
      early traditions that I have encountered in Ray Pritz Nazarene Jeish
      Christianity, Brill, (1988); and A.F. J. Klijn, Jewish Christian Gospel
      Tradition, Brill, (1992), both solid works or high repute.

      A man I well respect, and I, exchanged proverbs about a year ago. The one he
      gave me was "Walked towards it slowly", that seems good advice but I am
      determined to get to the bottom of the relationship between 4G and
      Gnosticism if it is the last thing I do! I have set out something of a
      program of research however and the mule account and its origins may need to
      wait until I face the Synoptic problem head on. I do think it is
      methodologically valuable to distinguish between history; theology and
      spirituality although the three are sometimes virtually inseparable,
      apparently.

      My immediate task is to find a suitable 'thank you' for you.

      I do not know if you are familiar with the Latin Rotas Word Square, dating
      from before Pompeii's destruction in 79CE but if you are, then you might
      find the following a worthy gift. I found it through a tiny footnote in an
      article given to me by the Curator of the Corinium Museum where one of the
      early British examples of the Square is kept. The footnote referred to
      correspondence in the Times Newspaper which I tracked down in the British
      Library's Newspaper Department. It relates to discussion about the Rotas
      Square between Chief Rabbi Moses Gaster and a Revd. T. D. Hickes and
      E.A.W.Budge the latter was then, (1929), keeper of the British Museum Middle
      Eastern aquisitions. As you probably know the letters of the Latin Square
      can be re-worked into a Latin cross or indeed an X to form a double
      'Paternoster' with two additional A's and O's which some have considered
      relate to the Alpha-Omega symbolism of the Apocalypse of John. The debate
      between the three men related to early Jewish and Samaritan amulets,
      although tefillin iserts is perhaps a more useful term. Gaster was an expert
      on Samaritan amulets and left over a thousand Hebrew manuscripts to the
      British Museum. They were catalogued in Hebrew by N. Allory and D.S.
      Lewinger in Hebrew in 1960 and there are some hand notes in English. Gaster
      was clear that the Samaritan amulets went back to the 1st or at latest c.
      2nd.

      In all events the scholars considered the twenty five letters in terms of a
      magic number square and related it to inserts bearing the divine Name. We
      should recall that the Shema is composed of six words of 25 letters in
      total. The exciting thing is that in the five by five magic palindrome
      number square opposite squares, when added, equal 26 whilst the 25
      sub-squares are enclosed in the larger square, again yielding 26. To cut a
      long story very short, my research suggests that the Square originates with
      the Church in Rome and with its Jewish Christians who, presumably had
      translated the Lord's Prayer into Latin, or at least its title. When all the
      detailed arguments, nuanced debates and objections are worked through, which
      I have more or less done, I think we are left with what was once a tefillin
      insert alluding to the opening words of the Matthean Prayer / Didache, set
      in a palindrome YHWH number framework, alluding to A-O symbolism, set within
      'wheels within wheels'. I have found a very similar Latin Square dating from
      just about the time of Constantine's church building program, found in a
      North African church: it contains letters that, when read according to later
      Jwish cabbalistic squares, reads SANCTA ECLESIA, flowing out from a central
      square. The upshot is that I think we have sound archaeological evidence for
      the Lord's Prayer dating to about the time of Claudius' expulsion of the
      Jews from Rome and the dispute over CHRISTOS as recorded twice, not once as
      most scholars repeat. The upshot is either that Michael Goulder's
      self-contained, ingenious and thus far inpenetratably sound theory of the
      Lord's Prayer's origins is falsified, or else Matthew's Gospel was composed
      much earlier than in generally assumed. A late date for the Prayer's
      composition by the Matthean evangelist cannot stand. Goulder's theory is
      entirely self-consistent but fails to fit the wider circumstances. This is
      clearly not the list to continue this issue but it does have a bearing on
      Johannine Priority, the Interpretation of the Parable of the Sower and
      possibly an underlying Lord's Prayer lurking behind John 17 with its word
      count that relates to the gematria of the vocative PATER and six uses of the
      word perhaps relating to an underlying ABBA, a palindrome word (1+2+2+1=6).

      Thanks once again and SHALOM / SALIM.

      Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex).