Re: [John_Lit] John 19:11

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6 6:29 AM
      In a message dated 3/5/2004 8:27:47 PM Central Standard Time,
      profram@... writes:

      > I'd like to start a new line of questioning only partly related to the
      > Gibson film. In Jn 19:11 Jesus tells Pilate, "He who delivered me to you has
      > the greater sin." I was surprised to see how many of the major commentators
      > identify this "deliverer" as "the Jews" (despite its being singular!). These
      > include Brown, Bultmann, Schnackenburg. This is the more "anti-Semitic"
      > interpretation, I suppose. Surprisingly few single out Caiaphas, and few
      > think it is Judas (tho Barrett does, for one). But in view of the consistent
      > association of Judas with that verb (paradidonai) in John's Gospel, that's
      > the way I am leaning.

      Interesting question. But strictly speaking, it is not Judas who delivers
      Jesus to Pilate, is it? On the other hand, 18:30 uses PARADIDOMI with a vague
      subject, presumably Jews, but with perhaps the implied agency of Caiaphas in
      18:28 behind their action. On the other hand, if Judas is the one (singular, male)
      whom the author has in mind when he employs the masculine singular participle
      in 19:11, I suppose you would have to raise the question of whether and to
      what extent John sees significance in the name IOUDAS, i.e. whether he sees
      Judas as somehow representative of Judaeans, or even "Jews", in John's special
      sense of that term.

      Leonard Maluf