[John_Lit] Re: Thomas the Beloved Disciple

  • Jeffrey L. Staley
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 19, 2000

      > [Jeff writes:]
      > Paul, I do not want to spend too much time arguing Luke-Acts stuff in a
      > Johnannine Lit group, but it seems to me that if you really want
      > to argue for "Luke's" care in distinguishing Johannine and Petrine
      > voices/traditions from one another, you will also have to deal with
      > the issue of Paul's portrayal in Acts. That is to say, if Luke is so
      > careful in distinguishing John's voice from Peter's voice, why
      > does his "Paul" sound and act so differently from the Paul of Paul's
      > letters? Here there is much more material to work with than just a
      > few words, and here Paul's voice sounds more like "Luke" than like Paul.>>
      >
      > I hesitate to intervene here, since Paul himself has graciously conceded a
      > measure of validity to your remarks. I must say, however, that I find them a
      > bit exaggerated, . . . I do not think however that the net
      > result of taking into account Luke's handling of Paul in Acts has the effect
      > of significantly weakening the argument of P. Anderson regarding the
      > Johannine flavor of one of the remarks attributed to the apostles Peter and
      > John in Acts 4:19-20. There may be other arguments that do so, but not this
      > one, as far as I am concerned.
      >

      > It is of course of much greater relevance what Luke does with Matthew's
      > Jesus. And here too I think (mutatis mutandis) you exaggerate.

      Thank you for your comments, Leonard. I was afraid my remarks on Luke-Acts' view of Jesus and Paul might take us a bit too far from
      Johannine Lit, and I fear that they have. So I will just let your statements stand, without further elaboration on my part. I think
      your observations are certainly worth exploring--but probably in a different venue than this one.

      Jeff
    • Jeffrey L. Staley
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 19, 2000
        Paul Anderson wrote:

        > Thanks, Jeff, I knew it sounded familiar. By the way, what have the

        Book reviews have been very positive. A few seminary/graduate courses have picked it up as a text, as well. It is a bit ironic, that I,
        having found _dogs_ (!) roaming in the johannine passion narrative should chide you for finding someone so innocuous as the apostle John
        lurking in Luke-Acts!

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 19, 2000
          johannine_literature@egroups.com writes:
          >It is a bit ironic, that I,
          >having found _dogs_ (!) roaming in the johannine passion narrative
          >should chide you for finding someone so innocuous as the apostle John
          >lurking in Luke-Acts!
          >
          >Jeff

          Well put, Jeff, and remember, as Bakhtin says, we ourselves are involved
          in the making of meaning. I'm just glad to know you still feel some
          historical-critical issues are worth engaging.

          Cheers!

          PA

          Paul N. Anderson
          Associate Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
          George Fox University
          Newberg, OR 97132
          503-554-2651