[John_Lit] SBL Group

  • Thatcher, Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2000
      Ladies and Gentlemen,

      I assume that most of you are members of the AAR and/or SBL, and that most
      of you have a strong interest in the academic study of the Johannine
      Literature. Many of you are also aware of my own interest in the Johannine
      Jesus tradition. My observation of the discussion on this listserve
      suggests that I am not alone in this interest, for several of our recent
      discussions have involved the sources of FG, the Johannine Community, the
      identity of the BD, and related topics.

      I have been interested for some time in forming a section on the Johannine
      Jesus Tradition in the Society of Biblical Literature. I would not want
      this section to compete with the current Johannine Literature Section, but
      to complement it by focusing on this issue. Offering an alternate forum for
      such discussion would allow questions of tradition to receive the attention
      they deserve without distracting from the other important issues covered in
      the current Johannine Lit. group. I am thinking primarily of a section
      which would meet for perhaps 5-7 years, focusing each meeting on a specific
      issue relevant to the Johannine Jesus Tradition (i.e., written sources;
      orality and FG; the identity of the BD; FG and the historical Jesus; traces
      of tradition in the Epistles; etc.).

      If you have any interest in such a section, please send an e-mail to my
      personal address (tom.thatcher@...). I don't mind if you respond
      to the entire list but I don't want to clog up the list with responses.
      Even a simple note which says, "yes, I'm interested," would be helpful at
      this point. I would be especially interested to know if you have specific
      ideas for how such a section should be structured or what issues it should
      address, and whether you would be willing to help put it together or perhaps
      even serve on a steering committee. If there is insufficient interest I
      will not pursue it further, but if there is sufficient interest I will
      approach the SBL to make a formal application.

      Thanks for listening and for the always-provocative dialogue.

      Respectfully,
      --tom thatcher

      "The Truth Will Set You Free"
      tom thatcher