RE: [John_Lit] RE: Mel Gibson's "Passion" and Johannine motifs

  • Perry L. Stepp
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 1, 2004
      Jeff--

      > But what is ironic is that those that those who have been
      > protesting gratuitous violence are not doing so now. In
      > fact they are buying out blocks of tickets so the violence
      > can be seen and -- dare I say it? -- savoured.

      Gratuitous violence? Oh, PLEASE. You simply cannot argue that Gibson's
      PASSION OF THE CHRIST is the equivalent of RESERVOIR DOGS or somesuch.

      To call the violence of PASSION gratuitous is insulting. Do not mistake
      personalizing the violence with savoring it.

      Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
      Kentucky Christian College

      "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
      --Faulkner
    • Joe Gagne
      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 5, 2004
        I don't think that Ramsey was speaking for "all", but those of us who
        have been around for a while
        recognize how people see things, particularly within their culture. And
        why do you feel that you need
        to break the views of some people? Some of us who have taught for many
        years realize that we are
        not here to blow apart the faith of people, but rather to instruct them
        through what they read, what we are teaching, and then giving them a
        chance to put their thoughts together on what they will believe.

        Staley, Jeffrey wrote:

        >"That's my Jesus" is a
        >phenomenon to be reckoned with among certain folks, one that I try hard
        >to break viewers of."
        >
        >Ramsey wrote:
        >Those who say "That's my Jesus," are not drawing their notion of Jesus
        >from Mel Gibson.
        >
        >They are recognizing that Jesus as similarly to their Jesus for one
        >simple reason. Their Jesus is crucified for them, and Gibson's film
        >helps them to visualize what they *already* believe, and would believe
        >even if they had never seen the film.
        >
        >Ramsey, do you really want to speak for all the "my Jesuses" out there
        >on this?
        >

        >Jeff Staley
        >

        >--

        Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.