Re: [John_Lit] The Nature of History, Allusions and Illusions

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2004
      Bill Bullin wrote:

      > Bill Bullin to Jeffrey:
      >
      > Dear Jeffrey: (1) "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" :
      > History, Allusion or Illusion?

      False dichotomy. Even if the cry is not historical, the alternatives regarding
      what Mark wanted his readers to think about the nature of this "cry" is not are
      not only real "allusion" or only an apparent one. In this instance it meant to
      be seen as something else --a quotation.

      > P.S. Do you want it in silver or flesh then?

      I'd like -- against any hope that it will be paid this way -- it in truly
      informed conversation.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --