RE: [John_Lit] RE: Mel Gibson's "Passion" and Johannine motifs

  • Staley, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 53 , Feb 27, 2004
      Folks, probably like me, a number of you have been interviewed in regard
      to Mel Gibson's "Passion." Below are articles that I contributed to. If
      you were interviewed, why don't you put up the web links?

      Oops. Here is the CORRECT Seattle Times link.

      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001863907_gospels24m.ht
      ml

      Jeff Staley
    • Joe Gagne
      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 5, 2004
        I don't think that Ramsey was speaking for "all", but those of us who
        have been around for a while
        recognize how people see things, particularly within their culture. And
        why do you feel that you need
        to break the views of some people? Some of us who have taught for many
        years realize that we are
        not here to blow apart the faith of people, but rather to instruct them
        through what they read, what we are teaching, and then giving them a
        chance to put their thoughts together on what they will believe.

        Staley, Jeffrey wrote:

        >"That's my Jesus" is a
        >phenomenon to be reckoned with among certain folks, one that I try hard
        >to break viewers of."
        >
        >Ramsey wrote:
        >Those who say "That's my Jesus," are not drawing their notion of Jesus
        >from Mel Gibson.
        >
        >They are recognizing that Jesus as similarly to their Jesus for one
        >simple reason. Their Jesus is crucified for them, and Gibson's film
        >helps them to visualize what they *already* believe, and would believe
        >even if they had never seen the film.
        >
        >Ramsey, do you really want to speak for all the "my Jesuses" out there
        >on this?
        >

        >Jeff Staley
        >

        >--

        Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr. PhD.