Re: [John_Lit] Re: Evolution of high Christology

  • Bill Bullin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
      Dear David and John

      IMvHO I am absolutely sure you are on the right lines and asking the right
      kinds of questions.
      We had a brief exchange before and I would like to pick up the thread when
      time and courtesy to the views of others allows.
      Let me briefly offer one of a few of the clues I am working on:

      (a) In the whole of 1 Cor. Paul seems to me to be wrestling with the
      Johannine wisdom / Logos question in sociological rather than textual form.
      His solution is oneness and love; the Shema, not the old Shema but the New
      Shema. This focusses the debate to 1Cor. 8:6. Tom Wright, my theoretical
      dialogue partner, sees 1Cor. 8:6 as the key to the meat eating issue. He is
      undoubtedly correct but I think it is also a hermeneutic key to the whole
      document and to the mind of St Paul as he wrote.
      First rank scholar that he is, Wright noted the word and syllable count of
      the formula although he would not speculate further.
      As an unranked player, I think he missed a trick, or a clue in the corner of
      the room that would catch the eye of only Sherlock Holmes or else someone
      like me who had been researching the Lord's Prayer and the Sator~Rotas word
      square ruthlessly.

      Many years ago Joachim Jeremias argued that the Lord's Prayer replaced the
      recital of the daily Shema relatively early since it is cited differently in
      the Gospels and if it was still a daily recital that would not have been the
      case. Good point. If he were right, Michael Goulder's theory of the origins
      of the Lord's Prayer would be kicked into touch at a stroke. Incidentally I
      would love to know what Mark Goodacre and Mark Matson think of the origins
      of the Prayer since they share Goulder's synoptic theory which I neither
      accept nor reject but try to hold in tension with other solutions, including
      Matthean priority. The Shema was placed in Jewish phylacteries and worn at
      the hours of prayer. At some point the Hebrew letter SHIN was added to the
      exterior of phylacteries. My two questions are when and why. I have been
      unable to discover an answer despite wandering around a number of Jewish
      museums in Europe and talking to anyone who would talk to me about it. What
      Professor Vermes
      kindly confirmed for me was that the letter SHIN did not appear on the
      exterior of the bindings recovered from Qumran.
      I therefore formulate the following hypothesis: the letter SHIN was added to
      the exterior of the boxes as a means of distinguishing orthodox Jews from
      the MINIM or else the MAMINIM (Aramaic 'believers'). If this could be
      demonstrated to be reasonable it would suggest that the MINIM were using an
      alternative formula as well as an alternative prayer. On reading Wright on
      1Cor. 8:6 we do appear to have just such a formula; an incredable
      christological formula included in a document written some 25 years or so
      afetr the crucifixion.

      (b) Now, it seems to me, to get very interesting. In the absence of evidence
      Wright declined to speculate further on whether or not the formula was
      Pauline or pre-Pauline. I think we have the answer on the basis of word,
      syllable and letter counts. I think I can identify about ten or so links
      between the six words of the Shema and the Pauline or pre-Pauline formula.
      This being the case and since Paul basis his argument on the text I think I
      can argue that the formula would have been known to the Corinthians prior to
      Paul's letter; I would like to try to argue that it might go back to the
      Palestinian churches but that will be tougher.

      I will pick up the point again if you are interested. I am fairly lowly
      ranked in the pecking order in our household, and I am being asked to 'get
      off the computer dad!!

      Bill Bullin (Private student, East Sussex, England).